Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch series 4 failed update to 5.1

my device hung on the update to 5.1 on the apple logo, i left it there for more then 15 mins before i tried restarting the device which didnt help i have also tried to erase content and settings which said could not connect to watch any help would be amazing

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5.1

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 1:33 PM

The same thing here. It was updating to 5.1, there was a progress bar and when it restarted, it just got stuck displaying Apple logo. Left it on the charger for 30 minutes, nothing happened, tried hard restarting it, it just goes back to Apple logo.

10 replies

Oct 30, 2018 3:18 PM in response to zackfromaurora

Been using and enjoying the latest Apple Watch for the last few weeks (44mm, with celular). Started update via iPhone app, on a phone which had already been updated.

Checked watch update progress about 90 minutes later and Apple logo was visible, but no update ring was displayed. Waited longer to see if the watch would complete its update, but no luck. Watch was unresponsive to screen or single button presses, so I tried a hard reset. Watch resets, but is stuck displaying apple logo.

Will likely visit an Apple store tomorrow.

apple watch series 4 failed update to 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.