Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple security update 2018-002 10.13.6 fails on Mac Pro

Hi,

Just tried to update my Mac Pro late 2013 with the newly released Apple security update 2018-002 10.13.6, both via the Mac App Store and by downloading it directly from Apple. The problem I'm having is that just after the restart the screen goes black and then nothing happens. I have tried several times now but the update doesn't start after the restart.

Anyone else having this issue?

/Johnny

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 6:42 AM

Similar questions

152 replies

Nov 1, 2018 4:10 AM in response to Johnny R.

I also had issue on installing this security update.

1. after installation, reboot the mac and re-enter the desktop. The screen was keep blinking.

2. So I rebooted the mac again. The booting failed, and it said: "install updating failed ,you can restart or shutdown the mac"

3. reboot the mac again, still failed to reboot and the mac entered the recovery mode.

4. reboot the mac. Finally, no error again, and the mac was booted successfully.

My device info:

User uploaded file

Nov 3, 2018 11:00 AM in response to kemccarthy

Thanks for a definitive answer on this. I can see that this is the case. One of the steps I was taking to use my bootable backup disk was holding the Option key that allows you pick a startup volume. I noticed that the first one was "Mac OS Installer". I was having no idea where this installer volume was coming from. I later realized auto updates was set in the App Store settings (I've turned those off now).

Anyway, there was a lot steps I took in this process, but I did make sure in System Preferences that my Startup Disk was the right one. I was taking pics along the way of different windows I was getting.

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2018 12:23 AM in response to chelidon

I finally got this persistent problem fixed (2010 Mac Pro had downloaded but did not install Safari/Security update, then afterwards would not shutdown or reboot normally, had to be turned off from the power button). Reset PRAM, SMC, which did not help. Unplugged peripherals, extra internal and external drives, USB devices and extra PCI cards (USB 3, mSATA drives) -- no help. Safe boot worked, but did not solve the problem. Booting from a USB installation of High Sierra worked fine, and would shutdown normally, but problem continued with normal boot.

1. Forced the software updates via Terminal (sudo softwareupdate -i -a --verbose). Updates (Safari and Security) installed successfully, still did not solve the problem.

2. Reinstalled High Sierra from a USB installer. This also did not solve the problem.

Finally, did the following from Terminal (aka "shotgun approach"):

1. rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*

2. sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fra mework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

3. killall Dock

4. sudo mdutil -E /

Success! System shutdown worked normally again. I ended up installing Mojave afterwards anyway, but had wanted to solve the problem first, particularly before doing the required firmware updates (requiring reboots) for my Mac Pro.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing similar issues.

Nov 4, 2018 4:21 AM in response to chelidon

Thanks chelidon, your fix worked for me after removing extra space in "framework". Here are my exact steps:

2. sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fra mework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

3. killall Dock

4. sudo mdutil -E /

5. Reboot

6. sudo softwareupdate -i -a --verbose

7. Reboot when prompted

Nov 9, 2018 5:33 PM in response to Johnny R.

After leaving it for 12 hours after my MacBook Pro froze on my first effort to install the update, I had to reinstall High Sierra from recovery mode. Had another go and again it froze and I recovered from a snapshot. Amazingly, my update history tells me the update has installed twice along with Safari 12.0.1 and a couple of printer drivers yet it is still telling me that I should apply the 2018-002 update as below. Go figure, but the wasted hours are telling me to leave it alone forever.

User uploaded file

Oct 31, 2018 11:44 PM in response to Johnny R.

So I am just pointing out that you should install the updates individually, pressing update all can cause strain on the Mac as it can be downloading and installing simultaneously.

Ok how about you ignore the App Store and download the Security Update from the Apple Support Downloads pages,

Download Security Update 2018-002 (High Sierra)use a cabled connection to your router instead of WiFi.

Is your Mac functioning well, do you have anti-virus installed, not needed, do you have any cleaning apps installed, again not needed, these can sometimes interfere with the installations of updates.

Nov 9, 2018 9:25 AM in response to Anthony MacCarthy

Hi Anthony, my name is Richard and my great great great grandfather was Captain Jasper Travers from Courtmacsherry, Cork, 1811-1881. Nice to meet you 🙂

The fix chelidon posted, and I added a bit to, was to fix our High Sierra Macs hanging while installing the latest Security update 2018 - 002. Neither of us was attempting upgrade to Mojave. If your Mac needs a firmware update, I would strongly recommend you install the firmware update separately before attempting upgrade to Mojave. You should be able to find it here Apple - Support - Downloads

Nov 10, 2018 9:41 AM in response to Johnny R.

for macpro5,1 I've solved this issue
if you started the update from Mac App Store and it doesn't install, reboot the system with option key pressed on boot, then select a system volume (Macintosh HD) and boot to system, then download the update as separate installer here Download Security Update 2018-002 (High Sierra)

Install, reboot, wait, then after reboot it works.

Tested on MacPro5,1 2010 with OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 SDD drive as system drive.

Nov 13, 2018 2:37 PM in response to Anthony MacCarthy

Hello -- yes, only hard power off would work, same as you are experiencing. You do have to use Terminal, and the steps in the linked post (reposted below) did solve the problem -- the only thing I would add is that after step 2 (the sudo command) you will need to enter your password, and there is an extra space in the command (in the word "framework") that you need to take out before entering it. Hope this helps!

Re: Apple security update 2018-002 10.13.6 fails on Mac Pro

Nov 18, 2018 9:12 AM in response to Johnny R.

I am using a MacPro 17 (2012), on HighSierra.

After a number of trials, here are the various cleaning actions I ran on Terminal (but I don't know for sure which of these commands really wiped away the problem, it is only affecting caches functions, anyway), please type them in a Terminal session, one-by-one :

2. rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/*
  3. sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/*
  4. sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  5. atsutil databases -removeUser
  6. sudo atsutil databases -remove
  7. sudo atsutil server -shutdown
  8. sudo atsutil server -ping
  9. sudo rm -rf /var/folders/*

After performing the last Terminal command, Restart. If the update is not automatically restarting during the boot, you may need to have it installed via the AppleStore.

User uploaded file

In fact, some cache data is preventing the Restart/Shutdown from the Apple Menu to work.

Nov 25, 2018 9:52 AM in response to gugy

Did you try the method I explained on top of page 9 ?

2. rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/*
  3. sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/*
  4. sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  5. atsutil databases -removeUser
  6. sudo atsutil databases -remove
  7. sudo atsutil server -shutdown
  8. sudo atsutil server -ping
  9. sudo rm -rf /var/folders/*

After performing the last Terminal command, Restart. If the update is not automatically restarting during the boot, you may need to have it installed via the AppleStore.

Oct 31, 2018 7:25 AM in response to Johnny R.

Yes, same issue. It seems a few people are having this problem on older computers (mine is mid-2014).

I ended up reinstalling OS X in recovery mode (it wouldn't even boot up in safe mode), so it's now working normally. But it wants to download the update again and I'm not falling for that twice. Hopefully they work it out.

Apple security update 2018-002 10.13.6 fails on Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.