Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is AAC needed in Headphones for iphone 8 plus

I'm looking for wireless headphones for iPhone 8 plus (and ipad air 2) . Most seem to support apt-X not AAC codecs - which seems odd given that iPhones / iPads are reasonably popular!

How important is the AAC codec? Usage is mainly music, some Netflix. Most genres (including classical and opera, excluding heavy metal!). Environments range from beach / cottage thru airplanes to cafe to living room. My current phones are Harman Kardon CL (wired). Im not trying to reproduce a concert hall but want good quality sound across the range including mid range, good bass but not "boomy", clear high end.

One that I like in particular is Sennheiser HD1 wireless. Their PXC550 does support AAC I think but I like the HD1 sound quality a little more based on initial listen in a store (using their demo not my phone).

Another candidate that does support AAC is the Audio Technica M50xBT, again based on an initial listen but I havent seen many reviews of it yet.

I need to know if AAC should be on my "must haves". It severely limits the choices if so.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 2:46 PM

12 replies

Nov 1, 2018 7:21 AM in response to deggie

Thanks, I guess my terminology was wrong. But I understand the purpose of apt-x. That is of course irrelevant here as iOS devices don’t use apt-x.

My understanding is that AAC is what Apple uses instead to achieve a similar improved transmission compared to SBC.

So headphones that have apt-x and not AAC will be using the low quality SBC, while headphones with AAC (eg Sennheiser PXC550) will receive a higher quality audio signal.

My question is should I have AAC on my must have list, is the benefit significant?

Oct 31, 2018 11:15 PM in response to deggie

im confused. i thought AAC was alternative codec to apt-x for transmitting better audio quality than SBC. if the headphones dont have AAC then doesnt SBC get used? my understanding is that is not good for audio quality.

(Most of my FLAC files are 1411kbps - not sure where that came from it was the max default I think when I ripped the CDs - Apple music of course is a lot less).

Nov 1, 2018 3:19 AM in response to RMJFlack

No codecs are used at all, apt-x is a technology used for improved radio transmission with higher quality Bluetooth signal. Both the device streaming the data (in this case your phone) and the headset must use it to get a benefit from it. If the transmitting device (the iPhone in this case) doesn't support it then the Bluetooth headphones just ignore it.

The Bluetooth headphones don't use any codec they just received the radio signal. If the headphones support the A2DP (stereo bluetooth) profile they work with the iPhone.

Nov 1, 2018 4:24 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Thank you, Jonathan.

So now I’m back to my original question, how much of a difference does AAC make?

Maybe it’s a two part question...

a) for a typical Apple Music 256kbps track

b) for a FLAC track at 1411 Kbps.

Is AAC a must have or just another factor to consider versus overall headphone design, materials etc.

Am I correct that it would not affect signal reliability or latency, just the audio quality? (“just” gives the wrong impression, perceived audio quality is the top priority.

Nov 1, 2018 6:52 PM in response to RMJFlack

My apologies, Johnathan is obviously correct and I knew that. But it has been a long time that I paid any attention to it as in the early days you might have to check if BT headphones were Apple compatible but those days are long in the past. All BT headphones that I can find have AAC and are compatible with Apple and some also include apt-x that some android devices support. Other than that how well they sound has to do with the technology used, including the drivers. All are limited by the BT standard. The mandatory standard is SBC.

If you are looking for the best sounding ones I would pay more attention to other items.

Nov 1, 2018 8:18 PM in response to RMJFlack

The difference it makes would be subjective and depends on how good your hearing is, the quality of the headphones. I definitely would go with AAC support for use on an Apple device.

I have some great Sony Bluetooth earbuds that support AAC and Sony’s LDAC on Android.

I can’t tell the difference between AAC on the iPhone and LDAC even though LDAC supposedly supports higher data rate to increase the sound quality.

I can recommend these for sound quality and noise canc, the microphone for phone calls is pretty bad:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-ear-headphones/wi-1000x

Nov 2, 2018 7:46 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Many thanks, again! I will check out Sony as well. So far my top candidates are Sennheiser HD1 and Audio Technia ATH M50xBT. The latter maybe fractionally ahead based on terrific clarity in mid range and price; a slight question as to whether the sound is a tad too bright I will have to listen again, and a small concern that they are a bit large and a bit geeky.

Aside from having AAC they are Bluetooth 5. Am I right that that would be a bit of a plus in terms of connectivity to iPhone.

The HD1 does haveslightly smoother sound (again from just preliminary listen) and a more sophisticated look, but higher price and no AAC.

Nov 2, 2018 4:17 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Waiting to hear the Sony, though they may be pushing my budget a little. (As is the Sennheiser HD1!).

A follow up plus another couple of questions.

You say you can barely discern a difference between AAC and LDAP, but am I correct that you would discern a diff between AAC and SBC?

Bear in mind my source most of the time will be iPhone, either Apple Music or iPeng for FLAC files. is the iPhone up to driving any of these candidate phones, HD1, M50xBT, your Sony? Don’t want to have to get into the cost ad hassle of any sort of add on hardware DAC whatever!

Put another way, given the source signal, are there options that are very nearly as good at less cost?

Is Bluetooth 5 a factor (the M50xBT has that). I’m thinking of better or more reliable connection. No point in having killer sound if it keeps dropping out.

Right now, with price factored in (these are not life time purchases with built in batteries) , Im leaning to he M50xBT, at least till I hear the Sony (and whatever Sony has in the $200-$300 Can bracket.

One complicating factor is its quite hard finding places where I can test all of these at the same time using my phone wirelessly as a source.

Maybe im overthinking this and should instead be checking on stores’ return policies!

Is AAC needed in Headphones for iphone 8 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.