Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live photo sound problem

I'm running ios 12.1 on my iphone xs max and am not sure why sound is not working for live photos. I have media sounds on but the ringer switch off so my phone vibrates for calls and alerts. Things like apps and even videos in the photos app will play sound like they should. But live photos will not. The only solution I can figure out is to turn the switch on the left side to on so it turns the ringer on. Is there another way to fix it besides this?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 12:12 PM

Hi MarcMarc12345,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see you have a question about Live Photos.

It sounds like you're only able to hear sound from your Live Photos when the Ring/Silent switch is set to Ringer. If that's correct, what you're experiencing is normal behavior. The Ring/Silent switch is intended to silence notification and sound from most sources. As you noted, some types of apps/audio will still play when in Silent mode, but Live Photos will only play audio when in Ringer mode.

I hope this helps to clarify. While this isn't specifically covered in the article, this is a great resource with some good general information about the Ring/Silent switch: About the buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch .

Kindest regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2018 12:12 PM in response to MarcMarc12345

Hi MarcMarc12345,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see you have a question about Live Photos.

It sounds like you're only able to hear sound from your Live Photos when the Ring/Silent switch is set to Ringer. If that's correct, what you're experiencing is normal behavior. The Ring/Silent switch is intended to silence notification and sound from most sources. As you noted, some types of apps/audio will still play when in Silent mode, but Live Photos will only play audio when in Ringer mode.

I hope this helps to clarify. While this isn't specifically covered in the article, this is a great resource with some good general information about the Ring/Silent switch: About the buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch .

Kindest regards.

Live photo sound problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.