Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn down notification volume on my XS Max?

i can turn down the ringer on my phone but the notifications do not turn down.

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 11:45 AM

Hey, Herboneal,

I'd try rebooting your iPhone and seeing if it still continues to occur after that. If it does, I'd check to see if it's happening after adjust the media volume as well. This would be the volume you see in Control Center.

These are the steps to restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2018 11:45 AM in response to Herboneal

Hey, Herboneal,

I'd try rebooting your iPhone and seeing if it still continues to occur after that. If it does, I'd check to see if it's happening after adjust the media volume as well. This would be the volume you see in Control Center.

These are the steps to restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.

Nov 2, 2018 11:24 AM in response to Herboneal

Hello, Herboneal!

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities, it's great to have you here. I understand that you're not able to adjust the notifications volume on your iPhone XS Max. Being able to customize those tones is really important, I'm glad to help.

To start, I want to make sure that you're adjusting the ringer volume and not the volume for things like music and videos. You can double check this by opening Settings and tapping Sounds & Haptics. Here, you'll see a slider or 'Ringer and Alerts'. Go ahead and adjust this slider to where you'd like it and test your notifications. This should hopefully resolve the issue. If you'd like, you can also check 'Change with Buttons' to adjust both music/video volume and ringers using the volume buttons. Your iPhone will intelligently choose the right volume depending on what you're doing with the phone.

I hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2018 11:33 AM in response to CarlosP1228

Hello thank you for your reply! The issue is I can adjust my ringer volume,and media while using the media apps. But even if I turn the ringer volume down,all notifications are still extremely loud. I can make adjustments in sound and haptics but there is no change in alert and notifications volume. I saw a lot of people online have this same issue when purchasing this phone as well as updating to IOS 12 for some reason

How do I turn down notification volume on my XS Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.