Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Messenger Has Two Phones Coming Into One Conversation Threads

Hi Everyone,

I've not been able to find this searching through the forums. I'm having an issue where we have 3 phones, my new Xs (mine), a 7 (my wife's), and a 5c (house). Our Messages between the 3 of us are all messed up. Both of the 7 and the 5c phone numbers are currently showing up in one conversation thread and when I reply it only goes to the last one who texted me. It doesn't matter if I type the phone number in directly, try to reply to an existing thread, or try to initiate from inside Contacts.

We have been sharing an Apple ID but never had issues until the new iPhone was on the scene. Each phone has Messages set up to only send and receive from their phone number and their separate email address.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

-Clarke

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 1:42 PM

You should not be sharing an Apple ID. That is what caused the problem. See: Apple ID FAQ - Apple, the 4th question.

However, if you update to iOS 12.1 it should fix your immediate problem. But you still should not be sharing an Apple ID between people, only between devices used by one person.

Similar questions

1 reply

iPhone Messenger Has Two Phones Coming Into One Conversation Threads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.