Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incomplete migration to Photos.

My iMac OS is 10.14 Mojave. My problem: I learned that my complete Aperture library was not completely migrated to Photos. I know this because I have the hard drive of my former iMac and found them there. It has begun to fail so I need to know where they might be hiding in my current iMac if they indeed were migrated back then.

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 6:06 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 2, 2018 8:55 AM in response to redearth1

If Photos migrated an Aperture library to a new Photos Library, the photos should be visible in Photos, if you launch Photos. Are you saying, that you are not seeing all previous Aperture photos in Photos?

When Photos migrates the library, wit will create a new Photos Library (by default in your Pictures folder) and the Aperture Library will be left unchanged (only the filename extension will be changed to ".migratedaplibrary"). If your Aperture library has been using referenced images, Photos will just reference the same images and does not create not create new copies of the originals.

Nov 2, 2018 8:20 PM in response to léonie

My Photos file only goes back so far. The Aperture file photos are all dated prior to those in Photos. Since they have appeared in the old hard drive that I linked to my current iMac I would go there to see them. I have even taken Photos photos and imported them back into Aperture to edit them. I took the old hard drive into a computer repair shop and await their findings as to the files still being available. Thanks for your help. I appreciate the time you took to reply. I am stumped.

Nov 3, 2018 1:59 AM in response to redearth1

The Aperture file photos are all dated prior to those in Photos. Since they have appeared in the old hard drive that I linked to my current iMac I would go there to see them.

Then Photos has created a new library or opened a different, newer Aperture Library instead of opening and migrating your old Aperture Library when you first started to use Photos. At the first launch of Photos it will migrate the Aperture Library or the iPhoto Library to Photos that has last been opened, but only, if it is on a compatible volume, that is currently mounted. Otherwise it will just start with a new, empty library.

You may want to copy this Aperture Library to your new Mac and drag it onto the Photos Library to migrate it to Photos too (if you have enough free storage on your new Mac to hold the copy of the Aperture library). Photos cannot merge libraries, however. If you want to merge all your aperture Libraries into one library, you have to do it in Aperture, before you migrate the libraries to Photos.

Incomplete migration to Photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.