Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID banner grayed out.

The Apple ID banner in settings on my new iPhone XS has been grayed out and unresponsive since setting it up last month. Apps, notes, mail, etc are syncing fine. I’m puzzled. Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 2:19 PM

Yes, I checked for Profiles under General. It is not there. At any rate, I just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support. This was a bit of a head scratcher for them as well. It turns out that there was some sort of glitch. Your original suggestion to look at restrictions area of Screen Time was on track.

Specifically, what we finally did that worked was restored all settings, then went to Settings>Screen Time>Content & Privacy Restrictions>Account Changes and clicked "Don't Allow." Then backed out of section to main Settings screen. Then returned via same pathway to Account Changes and clicked "Allow." Viola. The grayed out sections are now clear and functional. There wasn't anything with the way my phone was set up that was suspect, but toggling the "Account Changes" from "Allow" to "Don't Allow" back to "Allow" cleared it up.

Go figure.

Thanks for your suggestions and time.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2018 2:19 PM in response to King_Penguin

Yes, I checked for Profiles under General. It is not there. At any rate, I just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support. This was a bit of a head scratcher for them as well. It turns out that there was some sort of glitch. Your original suggestion to look at restrictions area of Screen Time was on track.

Specifically, what we finally did that worked was restored all settings, then went to Settings>Screen Time>Content & Privacy Restrictions>Account Changes and clicked "Don't Allow." Then backed out of section to main Settings screen. Then returned via same pathway to Account Changes and clicked "Allow." Viola. The grayed out sections are now clear and functional. There wasn't anything with the way my phone was set up that was suspect, but toggling the "Account Changes" from "Allow" to "Don't Allow" back to "Allow" cleared it up.

Go figure.

Thanks for your suggestions and time.

Nov 2, 2018 7:14 AM in response to King_Penguin

Sire, The very top banner, which includes my name and Apple ID related products, is grayed out, as are the FaceTime and TV banners further down. I had the entire Content and Privacy Restrictions section toggled OFF. I just now toggled it to ON, which allows changes, but that didn’t clear up the issue of greyed out banners. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Nov 3, 2018 6:40 PM in response to freddiefromminneapolis

additionally, after my previous note I discovered that the Face ID & Passcode banner (section) was completely missing. Yes. Indeed. Gone. Kaput. Permanent lunch break. After further discussions with tech support, we finally restored phone to factory settings. Cross my fingers everything is fine now. Certainly my Face ID is working again (and the banner is present under settings, as it should be.

I'm mainly following up again because I noticed that "Profiles" section that you were insisting should be present under General section is now present. Makes me wonder what else wasn't there that is now. Very strange to have a situation that tech support had never seen before. Baffling indeed.

Again, thanks, and cheerio.

Apple ID banner grayed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.