Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB keyboard suddenly stopped working in Mojave

I upgraded my Mac Mini (late 2012) to Mojave over a month ago and everything has been working great. But today I opened my contacts app and discovered I could not type in the app. Oddly, I could still type in the already open messages app. I figured it was a glitch and rebooted. After that, I can't even type to enter my login password!

I have a Dell windows keyboard, but it has worked fine up to now.

The keyboard seems to work except in Mojave. I booted in recovery mode and could type in the apps there. I also have bootcamp windows installed. Booted to that and everything works fine also. I then reset the PRAM and SMC. Didn't help. A web search suggested I boot with CMD+S and remove the

/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
file, so I did that. Now when it boots, it starts the setup process, but when the "Select your keyboard" box shows up, it is empty (previously it showed my keyboard as a choice).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Do I need to buy a new keyboard?

Mac mini, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 4:52 AM

Replying to myself, just in case anyone else has this problem. I tried another keyboard but no change. It is definitely an OS software problem. But I was able to restore the disk to a time-machine backup from a known good date. After that, the keyboard and everything worked again! Thank God for time-machine!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2018 4:52 AM in response to donw1128

Replying to myself, just in case anyone else has this problem. I tried another keyboard but no change. It is definitely an OS software problem. But I was able to restore the disk to a time-machine backup from a known good date. After that, the keyboard and everything worked again! Thank God for time-machine!

Nov 14, 2018 2:48 PM in response to donw1128

I have the same problem. I just upgraded to MacOS 10.14.1 yesterday and my USB keyboard and mouse stopped working. I restarted with the Option-Command-P-R keys held down with no success. There doesn't appear to be a way in System Preferences to select or choose a USB Keyboard. I prefer to use a hardwired keyboard on my 27 inch iMac. I had a similar problem when I first upgraded to Mojave a few months ago but the problem went away on its on after the computer was restarted several times. This time that trick doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

Nov 15, 2018 2:09 AM in response to Hawk Magnussen

The only solution I found was to revert back to a previous date. I rebooted with Command-R and then did Restore from Time Machine Backup, selecting a date when I knew the keyboard was working. If you don't have full-disk backups, my only suggestion is to re-install from scratch.

At the time I was running MacOS 10.14. After getting things working again and ensuring I had a good backup, I upgraded to 10.14.1. The next day my Mac completely crashed and would not reboot, even in safe mode! I only had Time Machine backups with 10.14 so I restored from the most recent, installed 10.14.1 again, and things have been working for a couple of weeks now. Keeping my fingers crossed it was a fluke.

Anyhow, best of luck.

USB keyboard suddenly stopped working in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.