Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend an existing Wi-Fi with an AirPort Time Capsule

I have just a Wi-Fi router at the moment that doesn't have any ethernet port, so I would want to add the Time Capsule to the actual Wi-Fi network just to be able to backup my macs on it, I've tried extend the current Wi-Fi network with the time capsule at the initialisation wizard but though everything seems to be configured fine, after the configuration ends and the Time Capsule reboots I can't see anymore the Time Capsule inside the AirPort Utility app and I can't access that in my network.

Is it possible to add the Time Capsule as a Wi-Fi client and use that just for backups with time machine ?

How? What is the correct procedure ?

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 12:59 PM

No it is not possible. Apple only allows the Express to join another wireless network now..

The Time Capsule MUST plug into another device by ethernet to its WAN port. OR Extend wireless from another Apple router. No other method.

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 2, 2018 1:48 PM in response to alessiofrombalestrino

The setup would be a bit unusual, but......

IF.....you have an AirPort Express.....that device can be configured to "join" an existing wireless network. The Ethernet ports on the AirPort Express are active when it is configured this way, so the Time Capsule could connect to the AirPort Express using an Ethernet cable and become a client of your wireless network.

Technically, the AirPort Express would be acting as a wireless-to-Ethernet "bridge" on your wireless network.

Backups to the Time Capsule will work this way.....but they will be slow.....since the Ethernet port on the AirPort Express is limited to 100 Mbps speeds.

Extend an existing Wi-Fi with an AirPort Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.