Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the watch count flights so poorly?

Last month I climbed Mt. Elmore which is a 1430 ft. elevation gain, plus the fire tower. The watch recorded only 14 flights. That is very poor accuracy. The steps and miles, on the other hand, looked about right.

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 5:00 PM

I have the recommended settings. Then the advice says start a workout in a flat area. How can such a workout calibrate the number of flights? The recorded miles and steps are reasonably accurate; it is the number of flights that is wildly off.

14 replies

Nov 2, 2018 5:13 PM in response to RichardABCD

I wouldn't expect the watch to register climbing a mountain as flights of stairs, at least not all of the time. It's not just the change in elevation that determines a flight of stairs. I believe it's a combination of the elevation and the steps. If it took you 500 steps, for example, to climb ten feet, it wouldn't register as a flight of stairs. If you did those ten feet in the approximate number of steps that it would take to go up a flight of stairs, it probably would.

Nov 3, 2018 4:20 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

You mentioned 13 steps per flight. That reminds me that the other day I was working on the house and was up and down the first floor steps at least 20 times and the watch recorded just two flights. There are 14 steps between my first and second floor.

This leads to two questions: is my watch working as designed and what was the flights feature of the watch designed to do?

Why does the watch count flights so poorly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.