Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing mojave on Mac Pro 5,1 with metal supported GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

I am trying to upgrade from High Sierra 10.13.6 to Mojave on a Mac Pro 2010 5,1 machine. The installed graphics card is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780. According to the system information below, it supports "Metal".

However, when I try to install Mojave, it requests me to install the firmware upgrade. I have tried a number of times following the procedure. However, it appears that the firmware update is not happening as I everytime come back to the same screen asking for firmware update.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Mac Pro 5.1

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 8:36 AM

I had that same experience on my 2010 5,1. Try this:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Do a PRAM reset (hold Command, Option, P and R keys all at once as soon as your computer turns on--hold those keys until you hear it chime twice, then let go and let it boot up.

3. Power down the computer again.

4. Unplug the computer from your power source and wait a minute (SMC reset).

5. Plug the computer back in.

6. Press and hold the power button and hold it in until you hear the long tone--THEN KEEP HOLDING FOR ANOTHER 5 SECONDS.

7. The screen may go white and will appear that your computer is locked up. Just wait it out.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Aloha,

Keoni

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2018 8:36 AM in response to biswasg45

I had that same experience on my 2010 5,1. Try this:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Do a PRAM reset (hold Command, Option, P and R keys all at once as soon as your computer turns on--hold those keys until you hear it chime twice, then let go and let it boot up.

3. Power down the computer again.

4. Unplug the computer from your power source and wait a minute (SMC reset).

5. Plug the computer back in.

6. Press and hold the power button and hold it in until you hear the long tone--THEN KEEP HOLDING FOR ANOTHER 5 SECONDS.

7. The screen may go white and will appear that your computer is locked up. Just wait it out.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Aloha,

Keoni

Nov 3, 2018 1:51 PM in response to biswasg45

I was having that exact same problem! I’m not sure what made the difference but it took me about four times before it kicked off and ran. At first, I only held the button until they saw the light flashing then let go. Since that didn’t work, I decided to hold the button until I heard the tone and then they go. But when that didn’t work, I held the button down and waited for the tone to sound all the way through and kept holding the button for past that tone. I would say keep trying to do it and with any luck you’ll be able to kick off the upgrade. Good luck, I feel your pain!

Nov 4, 2018 2:50 AM in response to keoniahlo

Dear Keoni, After your last message, I again tried the step 6, this time keeping the power button pressed for a little longer and voila, it worked. The window requesting for firmware update no longer appeared. I could install Mojave. However, I have noted one problem, I am unable to open the DVD tray. When I press the button on the keyboard, nothing happens. As I had not used the DVD for quite some time, not sure if it is a software or hardware problem. Will check and report.

Thanks for your help and support.

Nov 4, 2018 3:56 PM in response to biswasg45

That's great news! I guess I should update my instructions to hold for 30 seconds past the tone 🙂

My DVD tray works fine, do I don't think it's Mojave. I know it's a long shot, but try using some canned air and blow out your keyboard keys, particularly the eject key. It could be a simple as that (or try another keyboard if you have one).

You can also force-eject by typing this in Terminal: drutil eject

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

installing mojave on Mac Pro 5,1 with metal supported GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.