Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't convert internal SSD to APFS

In my MacBook Pro mid-2010 running High Sierra 10.13.6, I'm upgrading the drive to a 1 GB SSD (SanDisk 3D SSD). I replaced the drive, booted with another external backup drive, formatted the new internal SSD to APFS, and then used Disk Utility to restore the old drive to the new.

This process converted the SSD to regular Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatting. When I select either the drive or the volume and go to Edit > Convert to APFS, it is greyed out. This happens whether I boot from the internal SSD or the old drive externally (both High Sierra).

How can I convert the SSD to APFS?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 8:41 AM

I found the solution. I'd like to give credit to another discussion from which I pieced it together, but can't find it now. It's simple really, no Terminal or Erase needed.

1. The SSD is internal and you have restored your old drive to it.

2. Restart in recovery mode (Hold command-R while starting).

3. Open Disk Utility

4. Click on the SSD volume, then click the Unmount button (this is the trick).

5. In the Edit menu, you can now select Convert to APFS...

6. Proceed and done

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2018 8:41 AM in response to Dessicator

I found the solution. I'd like to give credit to another discussion from which I pieced it together, but can't find it now. It's simple really, no Terminal or Erase needed.

1. The SSD is internal and you have restored your old drive to it.

2. Restart in recovery mode (Hold command-R while starting).

3. Open Disk Utility

4. Click on the SSD volume, then click the Unmount button (this is the trick).

5. In the Edit menu, you can now select Convert to APFS...

6. Proceed and done

Nov 3, 2018 8:37 AM in response to Dessicator

Case 1: A disk can't be converted to APFS

Apple enables us to format a whole disk to APFS instead of converting it to APFS. The "Convert to APFS" option only appears when you right-click a volume.

Solution: Select volumes one by one rather than a disk to convert to APFS.

Case 2: A volume formatted with Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) can be converted to APFS

Until now, Apple only supports converting HFS+ to APFS. If your drive has other file systems, the "Convert to APFS" option will be not available. But after testing, we found that not all features of HFS+ can be converted to APFS. When your drive is formatted to Mac OS X Extended (Case Sensitive), Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled) or Mac OS Extended (Encrypted), the "Convert to APFS" option will be greyed out. So to fix the "Convert to APFS" option not available or greyed out issue, the only way to format your drive to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) or APFS directly.

Case 3: MBR drive can't be converted to APFS

If you have a MBR drive, you will have no chance to convert one of volumes to APFS. HFS+ can exist on MBR and GPT drive, but APFS is only supported on GPT. In this situation, you have to reformat MRB drive to GPT drive.

Case 4: An unmountable volume can't be converted to APFS

If one volume can't be mounted, it might have some serious file system corruptions which Mac computer can't recognize. As a result, the "Convert to APFS" option is not available or greyed out and you are not allowed to convert to APFS. To solve logical problem on a volume, reformatting is always the most effective way.

Case 5: Hardware restrictions (not confirmed)

Technically, APFS conversion doesn't have any hardware restriction. Many people have discussed the "Convert to APFS" option not available or greyed out issue in different forums. Some people claimed that Fusion drive or traditional hard drive is not supported for APFS conversion. However, Apple developer explains in FAQ: "Apple File System is optimized for Flash/SSD storage, but can also be used with traditional hard disk drives (HDD) and external, direct-attached storage". So this news is not confirmed.

Solution: Reformat your drive to APFS

Reformatting will erase all data on your drive, if you have important files on the drive, please make backups in advance.

Step 1: Open Disk Utility. And then click the "View" menu at the upper left corner and choose "Show All Devices".

Step 2: Find the drive that you want to format to APFS and select it. Click "Erase" at the top of the window.

Step 3: Select "GUID Partition Map" at Scheme, then complete name and choose format (APFS).

Step 4: Click "Erase" and wait until conversion finishes.

https://iboysoft.com/mac-data-recovery/convert-to-apfs-option-not-available-or-g reyed-out.html

Tgerminl wy?

https://mycyberuniverse.com/convert-apfs-option-notavailable-greyed.html

Can't convert internal SSD to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.