Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APFS

Why doesn't APFS appear as an option for formatting an external SSD? I'm attempting to format a new Samsung T7 on a MBP with Monterey OS v. 12.6. The partition button remains greyed out in disk utility as well, before and after reformatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). From advice I see elsewhere, there's a "Scheme" option that also doesn't appear....

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 12:02 PM

By default, disk utility only shows you the volumes on the disk, not the drive itself.

You cannot change the partition map of a volume and all of the commercial drives come formatted with a MBR partition scheme.

You have to select “show all devices“ from the view, pop-up menu in disk utility. Once you do that, you can select the Device and Erase, or Partition it with the appropriate partition scheme they need to be GUID partition schemes.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2023 12:02 PM in response to marc macapple

By default, disk utility only shows you the volumes on the disk, not the drive itself.

You cannot change the partition map of a volume and all of the commercial drives come formatted with a MBR partition scheme.

You have to select “show all devices“ from the view, pop-up menu in disk utility. Once you do that, you can select the Device and Erase, or Partition it with the appropriate partition scheme they need to be GUID partition schemes.

Apr 5, 2023 1:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

And finally, I read your suggestion more closely, and realized I'd taken previous advice online to hightlight the option UNDER the name of the SSD, not the SSD itself. Once I took your advice, "scheme" was visible, allowing me to choose GUID partition, at which time APFS appeared in the dropdown menu. Clicked Erase, and all worked in a flash.

So thanks, Barney. Resolved and ready for the next uphill!

Marc

Apr 5, 2023 6:52 AM in response to marc macapple

With macOS 10.11+ I don't believe the "Partition" tab in Disk Utility works until there is at least one partition already available. With macOS 10.11+, you must select the physical drive and use the "Erase" tab to properly prepare the drive which will create a new partition table as well as format the drive with the file system of your choice. You will not get an option to "erase" an APFS volume/Container as MacOS Extended if you only select the APFS file system. You must select the physical drive to "erase".

APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.