Macbook Pro 2012 Yosemite - There is no option to format Samsung T7 SSD into APFS and no View menu option

I am using the Samsung T7 SSD and need to erase so I can use it for storage. There is no option to format the SSD as APFS, no Scheme option to choose GUID, and no View menu to show all devices. I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012 with Yosemite version 10.10.5. Is there another option that I can use to format the SSD and use it? The only options that I have are listed below:

• Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  • Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)
  • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
  • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled, Encrypted)
  • MS-DOS (FAT)
  • ExFAT

Thank you for the help. I really need help on this so my laptop can have more storage ASAP.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 12:22 PM

There are no more options for Yosemite. APFS was introduced with Sierra.

You can upgrade that Mac though. To learn how to do that please read How to download and install macOS - Apple Support.

3 replies

Sep 30, 2023 10:10 PM in response to John Galt

I wouldn't recommend using APFS with Sierra – at least, not by choice. APFS appeared in only some versions of Sierra, and it sounds like there may have been some teething problems.

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/07/24/sierra-isnt-finished-yet-apfs-support-is-undone-in-10-12-6/

High Sierra and later versions of macOS are where APFS came into its own.

Oct 1, 2023 6:52 PM in response to ccork87

With macOS 10.10 Yosemite, you need to use the partition tab if you want to recreate the partition table. Apple changed this behavior in macOS 10.11 where the Erase tab is used to set the main partition table and format the file system. Here is an article which shows how to partition & erase the whole physical drive with macOS 10.6 to 10.10:

https://eshop.macsales.com/manuals/mac-formatting-guide-legacy-covers-disk-utility-for-os-x-10-6-10-10

Macbook Pro 2012 Yosemite - There is no option to format Samsung T7 SSD into APFS and no View menu option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.