Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 i9 Macbook Pro Low Full Charge Battery Capacity and low performance

I am having really bad battery performance with usual browsing and streaming with my 2018 i9 Mac Book Pro compared to my Mac Book Air.

Today I also checked with Coconut Battery and it shows the Full Charge capacity as 7060 mAh (%96) compared to Deigned capacity of 7336 mAh. Is this normal for a few months old machine with only 19 Cycle Counts? Both OS X and Coconut show as no problem with the battery but something is not right as I can compare it with several other machines

Thanks

Oz

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 10:30 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 14, 2018 2:13 PM in response to ozinga

Hey Oz,

I am having the same problem with a maxed out I9 as well. I checked several 2018 MBP 15 machines in Apple stores and other retailers. None of them were reporting battery capacity as low as mine, they ranged from around 7200 mAh to 7600 mAh. My battery is currently at 7 cycles and reporting 6999 mAh, the machine is less than 3 weeks old.

I have gone into the Apple store, they did a diagnostic and reported that my battery was at 99%. I am an engineer and don't think this is correct. I paid over $4000 for a top of the line MacBook Pro to use for business and wind up getting

Nov 14, 2018 2:37 PM in response to ozinga

Hey Oz,

I am having the same problem with a maxed out I9 as well. I checked several 2018 MBP 15 machines in Apple stores and other retailers. None of them were reporting battery capacity as low as mine, they ranged from around 7200 mAh to 7600 mAh. My battery is currently at 7 cycles and reporting 6999 mAh, while the design capacity is the same as yours at 7336 mAh, also the machine is less than 3 weeks old.

I went to the Apple store, they did a diagnostic and reported that my battery was at 99%. I am an engineer and don't think a brand new MacBook Pro should have lost 300 mAh of capacity and only report a 1% loss (which is unacceptable in and of itself being brand new) by apples calculation. Coconut reports 4% capacity loss.

It is a bummer to pay over $4000 for a top of the line MacBook Pro to use for business and wind up getting something with lower battery capacity out of the box than EVERY single other 2018 MacBook Pro I have been able to check.

It is at least a little reassuring that I am not the only one with the problem. My machine is an August 2018 build, when was yours built, maybe there was a bad batch of batteries that Apple has yet to discover?

Nov 14, 2018 3:33 PM in response to ozinga

Oz, Just did some quick calculations. Apple advertises a battery capacity of 83.6 Watt-hours for the 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro which equates to the battery having a calculated capacity of approximately 7333 mAh (relatively good agreement with System Report indicating 7336 mAh.) This can be confirmed by using the calculator at https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/wh-to-mah-calculator.html and using the values of 83.6 Watt-hours and 11.4 volts.

Your battery is reporting a max capacity of 7060 (mine at 6999) and thus your calculated capacity in Watt-hours is 80.484 Watt-hours vs new capacity of 83.6 Watt-hours. (Confirm with the calculator at https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/mah-to-wh-calculator.html)This represents a capacity loss of 3.73%. This almost 4% capacity loss is unacceptable after only 19 cycles. At least it's not as bad as mine which is currently at 79.78 Watt-hours after only 7 cycles representing a capacity loss of 4.57%. I would not easily trust Apples in house diagnostics since they told me I only had a 1% capacity loss. I did my own calculations and do not see how that could be the case based on the data reported by Apple System Report and simple math.

Anybody else care to check their battery capacity?

Nov 14, 2018 10:53 PM in response to MiniAum

Hey MiniAum

Thanks for sharing. yes they also diagnosed mine at apple store as %1 loss which I do not believe. But they told me to re format the drive and re install OS before I leave the machine with them for further diagnosis which did not help.

I also have 2015 Macbook Air and it performs much better than my Macbook Pro and that does not have this much battery lost after 300 cycles. There is definitely something going on. I can not work with this computer losing half of the battery in an hour.

2018 i9 Macbook Pro Low Full Charge Battery Capacity and low performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.