Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (14,3) + 2 external monitors

Hello!

I have two shiny new Macbooks Pro that each only have 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports. The short summary is that I have a 4K monitor and a 1080p monitor plugged in via various adapters (exact configuration below), but only one computer works consistently.

On the MacBook Pro 15,1, everything works perfectly. When you plug in the Thunderbolt 3 cable to the MBP, the screens flicker several times, but then it's all working.

On the MacBook Pro 14,3, the built-in Retina display and the 4K monitor flicker over and over again while the 1080p sits idle. The 4K gives about a second of display, followed by 2-3 seconds of black, followed by another cycle (usually at a different resolution than the last display). A few times I tried, it kept cycling over and over and I'd let it hit around 40 times before giving up. One time, after about 10 cycles, everything worked. The other MBP cycles about 2-3 times before working perfectly.

When the 14,3 doesn't start working, I have connect the dock with the 4K monitor unplugged, let the 1080p monitor flicker a few times, then plug in the 4K again. The way I designed my desk, this is rather difficult as the dock is not in a very accessible place and the dedicated Mini DisplayPort is on the back of the OWC dock. I also really don't want to have to needlessly unplug the monitor over and over. I just want it to work. 😏

Both MBP's are on 10.13.6 and have all of the latest updates. 3rd-party software makes upgrading to 10.14 impossible at this time.

My goal is to be able to plug in one Thunderbolt 3 cable to a MBP and have all of accessories magically working.

Here is how it's all connected.

MBP of the moment <-> Thunderbolt 3 40Gb/s Cable <-> OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock (12-port non-Fireware flavor)

OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock

<-> Power Adapter for Dock

<-> Mini DisplayPort to 4K Monitor (Samsung U28E510)

<-> Thunderbolt 3 cable to MBP

<-> Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter <-> Presonus Quantum 2 Audio Interface <-> PNY Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter <-> HDMI Cable <-> 1080p Monitor (ASUS VN289)

<-> Ethernet RJ45 1gig copper to switch

<-> Unused Lightpipe Audio Interface

<-> USB Apple Keyboard <-> Logitech G5 Mouse

<-> USB Apple Magic Trackpad 2

<-> USB PACE iLok (hardware dongle)

<-> USB Alesis Wireless dongle (Alesis Vortex Wifi Dongle)

This is how things look in the System Information app from the perspective of the 14,3 when everything is working.

Thunderbolt 3 Dock:

Vendor Name: Other World Computing

Device Name: Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Vendor ID: 0x5A

Device ID: 0xDE20

Device Revision: 0x1

UID: REDACTED

Route String: 3

Firmware Version: 33.1

Port (Upstream):

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Cable Firmware Version: 0.9.0

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.35.0

Port:

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Cable Firmware Version: 1.0.16

Cable Serial Number: REDACTED

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.35.0

Quantum 2:

Vendor Name: PreSonus Audio Electronics

Device Name: Quantum 2

Vendor ID: 0x3C

Device ID: 0x102

Device Revision: 0x1

UID: REDACTED

Route String: 103

Firmware Version: 25.2

Port (Upstream):

Cable Firmware Version: 1.0.16

Cable Serial Number: REDACTED

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.14.0

Port:

Link Status: 0x7

Current Link Width: 0x1

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.14.0

Quantum 2:

Default Input Device: Yes

Default Output Device: Yes

Input Channels: 22

Manufacturer: PreSonus

Output Channels: 24

Current SampleRate: 48000

Transport: Thunderbolt

Input Source: Default

Output Source: Default

OWC Thunderbolt 3 Audio Device:

Default System Output Device: Yes

Manufacturer: Other World Computing

Output Channels: 2

Transport: USB

Output Source: Default

OWC Thunderbolt 3 Audio Device:

Input Channels: 1

Manufacturer: Other World Computing

Transport: USB

Input Source: Default

Apple Keyboard:

Product ID: 0x024f

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 0.74

Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x00220000 / 26

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 20

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Built-In: Yes

Magic Trackpad 2:

Product ID: 0x0265

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 8.04

Serial Number: REDACTED

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x02200000 / 2

Current Required (mA): 500

Built-In: Yes

USB Gaming Mouse:

Product ID: 0xc049

Vendor ID: 0x046d (Logitech Inc.)

Version: 52.00

Manufacturer: Logitech

Location ID: 0x00210000 / 25

Current Required (mA): 98

iLok:

Product ID: 0x5036

Vendor ID: 0x088e

Version: 0.20

Manufacturer: iLok

Location ID: 0x02100000 / 1

Current Required (mA): 60

Vortex Wireless:

Product ID: 0x007f

Vendor ID: 0x13b2

Version: 0.01

Manufacturer: ALESIS

Location ID: 0x02400000 / 3

Current Required (mA): 100

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 7:19 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 3, 2018 7:57 PM in response to Richard Fernandez

The only way to have 2 displays coming from the MacBook Pro, is to have 2 separate connections.

That's definitely not true.

I have 2 displays connected to my MacBook Pro 15,1 using a single Thunderbolt 3 cable, and it works perfectly.

I have 2 displays connected to my MacBook Pro 14,3 using a single Thunderbolt 3 cable, but I have to unplug one and plug it back in to get it to work. Once that's done, it works.

I just don't want to unplug and re-plugin the 4K monitor each time.

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2018 3:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The Integrated graphics is not typically used for external displays.

You totally sent me in the correct direction! Integrated graphics. If they're not used, what's the harm in disabling them?

I deselected System Preferences, Energy Saver, Automatic graphics switching and all is well!

For anyone else out there, if weird stuff happens when you plug in multiple external monitors, try disabling Automatic graphics switching. It might be the magic fix!

Thanks all!!!!! 🙂

Nov 3, 2018 7:33 PM in response to butterybacon

Thank you for your detailed post. It helps us better find a solution to your inquiry. 😀

I share the same experience and 'problem' as you do. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, and I want to just be able to plug in 1 USB-C cable to my MBP and have my 2 screens, power, keyboard, mouse, etc, work. It's currently not possible though. Due to Intel's own limitations, only 1 screen can be displayed from each port. You can't have more than 1 display running from each TB 3 port on the MacBook Pro.

The only way to have 2 displays coming from the MacBook Pro, is to have 2 separate connections.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Nov 3, 2018 7:42 PM in response to butterybacon

When you try to access multiple displays through a dock, there is only ONE display that is supported by the Mac Hardware display interfaces directly, usually over a DisplayPort family connector.

The second display is 'faked' by using DisplayLink software to create a software frame buffer in main RAM, and a DisplayLink Driver that sends the display data out over an "ordinary" (Not super fast display-like speed) link to a DisplayLink chip in the Dock, which puts the display data back on a display interface to go to the display.

The primary complaint about this method was that it was a bit laggy. Until Apple made some changes in 10.13.4 -- that broke DisplayLink.

You can read about it on the DisplayLink web site. They have some work-around versions up by now.

Readers can elaborate on the wretched details of any part of this, just ask.

Nov 3, 2018 8:07 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Interesting. I'm using a single native Mini DisplayPort on the Dock and a separate Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter in a Thunderbolt 2 port. Would I see something about DisplayLink in System Information if I was relying on DisplayLink? I'm not getting any lag. I can drag a window back and forth between the two external monitors and it's so fast that it's painful to watch. Either way, if I only use the 4K and completely disconnect the 1080p, I have the same problem (flickering 4K flipping back and forth between different resolutions).

Here is my active Video Card from Graphics/Displays! Wow, sudden realization - I wonder if for some reason, the MBP is flipping between the Video Cards when I start up!!!!!

Radeon Pro 560:

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 560

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 4096 MB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67ef

Revision ID: 0x00c0

ROM Revision: 113-C980AJ-927

VBIOS Version: 113-C9801AU-A02

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.927

Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported

gMux Version: 4.0.29 [3.2.8]

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

U28E510:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p 4K UHD - Ultra High Definition)

UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Display Serial Number: REDACTED

Main Display: Yes

Rotation: 180

Connection Type: DisplayPort

ASUS VN289:

Resolution: 1080 x 1920

UI Looks like: 1080 x 1920 @ 60 Hz

Rotation: 270

Connection Type: DVI or HDMI

Adapter Firmware Version: 7.36

Nov 4, 2018 2:59 PM in response to butterybacon

I'm using a single native Mini DisplayPort [from] the Dock and a separate Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter in a Thunderbolt 2 port.

.... also from the same dock?

You only have one ThunderBolt connection from the computer to the dock. Each one thunderbolt port is connected from the Discrete graphics chip to one hardware display Interface in the 14,3 model. The Integrated graphics is not typically used for external displays.

Nov 4, 2018 2:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The dock has one dedicated Mini DisplayPort and one extra Thunderbolt 3 port. The dedicated Mini DisplayPort goes directly to the 4K monitor and the extra Thunderbolt 3 port has a series connectors that eventually reach the 1080p monitor.

This totally works on the MBP 15,1 every time and worked twice now on the MBP 14,3 without workarounds. As long as I unplug the 4K monitor's cable at some point before or after plugging in the Thunderbolt 3 to the MBP (and let the 1080p monitor get to a happy state before plugging back in the 4K), it works.

Here are the four chains that somehow involve monitors.

MacBook Pro Thunderbolt 3 Port (Right, Front) <-> Thunderbolt 3 40 Gb/s Cable <-> OWC Dock Thunderbolt 3 Port (Right)

OWC Dock Mini DisplayPort <-> Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable <-> 4K monitor DisplayPort

OWC Dock Thunderbolt 3 Port (left) <-> Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter <-> Thunderbolt 1/2 cable <-> PreSonus Quantum 2 Thunderbolt 2 Port (Left)

PreSonus Quantum 2 Thunderbolt 2 Port (Right) <-> PNY Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter <-> HDMI cable <-> 1080p monitor HDMI port

-----

Interesting side note!

The Integrated graphics is not typically used for external displays.

I'm noticing that changes to the configuration are not live-updated in the System Information app. You have to re-open the "System Report" window.

Occasionally, the 4K comes up as a 1440p (which looks fuzzy on this monitor).

U28E510:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz

Sometimes I can just flip from "Scaled" to "Default for Display" and all is well. Sometimes I have to unplug and re-plug. Ugh. After re-opening the "System Report", all is well.

U28E510:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p 4K UHD - Ultra High Definition)

UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Still experimenting.....

Thanks all!

MacBook Pro (14,3) + 2 external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.