Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do delete playlist without deleting its songs from iTunes library

This is on a 2017 MBP with high Sierra, iTunes 12.8.0

i created a playlist from a CD, i created a name for the playlist and then i drug the folder for that CD from the itunes library onto the playlist icon in the left side (music category), and this created a new playlist with the songs that were in that folder on that CD in the iTunes library.

Unfortunately, in creating the playlist, the iTunes program took the order of the songs and rearranged them with no logic that was apparent to me. The order of the songs is important, it's a just released 6 CD box set of Bob Dylan's outakes from the sessions of his Blood on the Tracks album from 1975, and the CDs have all those takes (87 of them) in the chronological order they were recorded, it shows the creative evolution of the songs and musical arrangements. So they aren't supposed to be rearranged according to some alien irrelevant logic.

It took a while to figure out a solution, after the first one failed. The solution was to not drag the folder onto the playlist icon but to drag the songs inside the folder collectively onto the playlist. i don't make a lot of playlists. i have accumulated a lot over a long time but i don't remember how to interpret ambiguities.

I was still in the trial and error stage, i didn't know if it was going to work. It worked, the songs were ordered like they are on the CD. i gave the playlist a different name from what i named the first one. Now i want to delete the first faulty playlist. i don't want to delete the songs from the library, since they're in the new playlist, i just want to delete the playlist (list of songs to play) from iTunes library, not the songs themselves which were uploaded to iTunes library from the CD. i don't see why deleting the playlist would require deleting all those songs from iTunes library. i realize they would still be on my computer, but why delete them from iTunes library?

When i googled this problem, i got a link which said i would have two options, either delete the songs in the playlist from iTunes library only, or delete everything on the playlist from the computer.

i would sure appreciate any enlightenment on how to do the obvious. thanx

MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017 1 TB 2T-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 7:36 PM

Right-click the name of the playlist in the sidebar and click Delete from Library. The list is removed, the tracks referenced by it stay put.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply

How do delete playlist without deleting its songs from iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.