Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes no longer airplay compatible

Hi,

Just downloaded the latest version of itunes (12.9.14) and an error message says its no longer compatible with my airplay device; a denon media player DNP-720ae. This is my main source of home music...

Can I presume this is an error that will be quickly rectified in an update? Surely apple wouldnt update itunes and instantly make devices all over the world obsolete with no warning..?

Do I have to, and can I, revert to a previous version till this is fixed..?

Hope someone can help!

Bennett

Denon DNP-720AE-OTHER, Windows Vista

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 2:57 PM

You can revert to a previous version (such as 12.9.0.167) from the "iTunes installers" section of:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

You may also want to make Apple aware of this issue using:

Feedback - iTunes - Apple

4 replies

Nov 8, 2018 10:40 PM in response to Bennett69

Demon have confirmed it’s an iTunes issue... “Apple iTunes version 12.7.4.76 introduced a communication issue with the authentication chip, which no longer allows you to use the service on selected devices. The issue can be identified by the following message on your Denon device:
"The AirPlay device "device name" is not compatible with this version of iTunes."
Previous versions are not affected by this. Please note that iTunes continues to work the latest iOS devices at the time of testing (iOS Version 12.0). It will however, no longer work on PCs.
Please also note that this is due to Apple no longer supporting the specific hardware authentification chip used in the above products. Therefore, there won't be any firmware solution from our side.”

Nov 26, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Bennett69

There is something else going on here. I just started getting that message this week for my iHome iW1 Airplay speaker. The weird thing is that I have been running the same version of iTunes for months on my Mac- version 12.7.4.80. I have not updated anything- not my MacOS and not my iTunes. Apple seems to have pushed some sort of update.

Itunes no longer airplay compatible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.