Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not free space with smart sync of Dropbox

Hi,

I am running with A OS X EL Capitan on Mac Book Air. Small storage, so I purchased dropbox Smart Sync, allowing theoretically to free space. It does, my files appear to use very little space on my storage. However my Mac (even if the files appear as very litlle storage used) does not aknowledge this and is permanently warning about low storage, with all the issues that you can imagine.

Any ideas??

THANKS!

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 4:41 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 4, 2018 5:57 PM in response to lucafromsantiago

Hmm, maybe I am not understanding this correctly, but if you sync it does not move files - it simply copies them to another location to be "in sync" (= the same) with your computer. So, if that is all you're doing, you will not gain any space on your laptop. If you want to move files, you would need to move them to an external hard drive for instance and then delete them off your internal drive.

Nov 4, 2018 6:01 PM in response to babowa

Hi Babowa, thanks for taking an interest!

This SYNC system is from Dropbox and it is called Smart Sync, because it basically creates a kind of direct link to the online file and when you look for it it downloads into your computer, meaning you only use the space when you really need it, the rest of the time it is in the cloud. So this should work, but it isn't because my Mac does not recognize that the files are actually out there, and not in my storage.

not free space with smart sync of Dropbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.