Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is sidebar in iMovie?

How can I view the sidebar in iMovie? High Sierra OS. Yeah, I have looked, looked,looked.

Also, part, but not all of a short video will import into iMovie. Help.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 10:41 AM

Hi, MinnieMe,

Click on the Media item at the top of your screen. The side bar should display on the left. If it does not, click on the little button below and to the left of the Media item.

User uploaded file

The import issue can be caused by any number of things. Often they can be cured by simply deleting preferences. Deleting preferences might also cure the issue about the sidebar as well, if my earlier suggestion doesn't work.

To delete preferences in iMovie 10, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your video will import properly.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2018 10:41 AM in response to MinnieMe

Hi, MinnieMe,

Click on the Media item at the top of your screen. The side bar should display on the left. If it does not, click on the little button below and to the left of the Media item.

User uploaded file

The import issue can be caused by any number of things. Often they can be cured by simply deleting preferences. Deleting preferences might also cure the issue about the sidebar as well, if my earlier suggestion doesn't work.

To delete preferences in iMovie 10, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your video will import properly.

-- Rich

Where is sidebar in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.