Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos from Messages

I want to delete photos from messages to free up storage on my iphone. I am running the latest ios. Thanks

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 5:37 AM

Hello Philhigg!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that you want to delete photos from your messages on your iPhone in order to regain some storage space. Making sure you have room for the things you want on your iPhone is very important and I want to help guide you to find the best solution.

Before deleting any of your messages, consider exploring what other options may be available on your iPhone to restore storage space. If you haven't done so already follow the recommendations offered in this resource called How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch .

If you still want to only delete pictures from messages still, follow these specifics steps from this article called Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch :

Delete a message or conversation

When you delete a message or conversation, you can't get it back. So make sure that you save important information from your messages.

To delete a message:

1. In a message conversation, touch and hold the message bubble that you want to delete, then tap More.
  2. Tap User uploaded file, then tap Delete Message. If you want to delete all messages in the thread, tap Delete All in the upper-left corner. Then tap Delete Conversation.

To delete a single conversation, swipe left over the conversation that you want to delete, tap Delete, then tap Delete again to confirm. To delete more than one conversation, open Messages and tap Edit in the upper-left corner. Then tap the circle next to the conversations and tap Delete in the bottom-right corner.

To keep your messages for a certain amount of time, go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages. Then select how long you want to keep your messages.

Keep your messages in iCloud

iCloud now keeps your entire message history updated and available on all your devices — even when you set up a brand-new device.

Messages in iCloud are updated automatically, so you have the same messages everywhere you use iMessage. When you delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices. And since all of your attachments are stored in iCloud, you can save space on your device.

You can use Messages in iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Have a wonderful day
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2018 5:37 AM in response to Philhigg

Hello Philhigg!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that you want to delete photos from your messages on your iPhone in order to regain some storage space. Making sure you have room for the things you want on your iPhone is very important and I want to help guide you to find the best solution.

Before deleting any of your messages, consider exploring what other options may be available on your iPhone to restore storage space. If you haven't done so already follow the recommendations offered in this resource called How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch .

If you still want to only delete pictures from messages still, follow these specifics steps from this article called Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch :

Delete a message or conversation

When you delete a message or conversation, you can't get it back. So make sure that you save important information from your messages.

To delete a message:

1. In a message conversation, touch and hold the message bubble that you want to delete, then tap More.
  2. Tap User uploaded file, then tap Delete Message. If you want to delete all messages in the thread, tap Delete All in the upper-left corner. Then tap Delete Conversation.

To delete a single conversation, swipe left over the conversation that you want to delete, tap Delete, then tap Delete again to confirm. To delete more than one conversation, open Messages and tap Edit in the upper-left corner. Then tap the circle next to the conversations and tap Delete in the bottom-right corner.

To keep your messages for a certain amount of time, go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages. Then select how long you want to keep your messages.

Keep your messages in iCloud

iCloud now keeps your entire message history updated and available on all your devices — even when you set up a brand-new device.

Messages in iCloud are updated automatically, so you have the same messages everywhere you use iMessage. When you delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices. And since all of your attachments are stored in iCloud, you can save space on your device.

You can use Messages in iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Have a wonderful day

Deleting photos from Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.