Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet network ans ethernet switches

I have an Airport Extreme as my wireless router. I also have an ethernet swicth connected to it of which I only use one port.

I want to add another ethernet switch further in my house to enlarge my network. I wonder if I can put it anywhere on the network or if there is some rules to follow when adding another switch ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), 3,5 GHz Intel i7 - 3TB FD - 32GB

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 11:09 AM

Thanks ... So there is a preferable way.

Preferable in terms of troubleshooting if there is a problem on the network.

Example......If an Ethernet device connects to a switch and the switch connects to another switch, you won't really know which switch might be culprit, so you must check all the connections on both switches.

If one switch connects to one Ethernet port on the AirPort Extreme and the other switch connects to another Ethernet port on the AirPort, troubleshooting any issues is much easier and faster.

As what you call the «connection point of the switch to the network», I understand that it could be either the AE or another switch, but preferably the AE. Is that what you are saying ?

Yes

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2018 11:09 AM in response to Robert Lesperance

Thanks ... So there is a preferable way.

Preferable in terms of troubleshooting if there is a problem on the network.

Example......If an Ethernet device connects to a switch and the switch connects to another switch, you won't really know which switch might be culprit, so you must check all the connections on both switches.

If one switch connects to one Ethernet port on the AirPort Extreme and the other switch connects to another Ethernet port on the AirPort, troubleshooting any issues is much easier and faster.

As what you call the «connection point of the switch to the network», I understand that it could be either the AE or another switch, but preferably the AE. Is that what you are saying ?

Yes

Nov 6, 2018 10:59 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks ... So there is a preferable way. Yes, I can plug the new switch in the last available AE port and it would still only be 40 meter away from the AE.

Ethernet network ans ethernet switches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.