Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend network with Airport Express via ethernet

I have a Smart/RG VDSL Modem/Router and 2 Airport Expresses that I've run ethernet cables to and are configured to extend the network as a roaming network. I want to add one more Airport Express to the setup configured the same way, but it would be a pain to run a dedicated ethernet cable from the Smart/RG to it.

Can I just connect an ethernet cable from the LAN port on one of the Airport Expresses to the WAN port on the new Airport Express? This would be much easier to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 8:18 AM

djborden wrote:
Can I just connect an ethernet cable from the LAN port on one of the Airport Expresses to the WAN port on the new Airport Express? This would be much easier to do.

Yes, that should work ... and actually, it won't matter which port you use on the third Express, as in a roaming configuration, each Express would be in bridge mode. However, for consistency, use the WAN port would be fine.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 8:18 AM in response to djborden

djborden wrote:

Yes, that should work ... and actually, it won't matter which port you use on the third Express, as in a roaming configuration, each Express would be in bridge mode. However, for consistency, use the WAN port would be fine.

Sep 3, 2021 10:12 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for you response. That's what I'll do.

If I might as a follow up - A friend has a similar setup but recently had 1 GB internet service installed, which the Airport can't handle. He is being advised to do a mesh network, but they have several concrete walls that the wifi doesn't get through very well. Is there a mesh network product that would allow them to do a similar thing to what the Airport does - in other words that they can use the existing ethernet cables to connect to each of the Mesh nodes? Or is there another non-mesh alternative that would work?

Thanks Again.

Extend network with Airport Express via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.