Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express to Wirelessly Extend

I have 2 airport Expresses connected to my Netgear Router by ethernet that are extending the Netgear networks (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and a Guest Network). I want to add another Airport Express to wirelessly extend the network where I can't get an ethernet cable. I know the throughput for the wireless Express will be reduced but will it slow down the rest of the network? Thanks.

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 5:22 PM

The portion of the network involving one Express and the wirelessly extended Express will be affected. Typically, the potential speed on the network will slow by half or more in the process, although you might not really notice much difference unless you are performing speed checks all the time.

Speaking of speed.....the Express has only 100 Mpbs Ethernet ports, so the maximum speed that an AirPort could produce when connected using Ethernet is 100 Mbps. Typically, the speeds will check out at 70-80 Mbps.

For example, I have a 300 Mbps Internet connection on the network. If I connect an AirPort Express to the main router using an Ethernet connection, the maximum speed that I can get over WiFi with the Express is about 70 Mbps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 5:22 PM in response to djborden

The portion of the network involving one Express and the wirelessly extended Express will be affected. Typically, the potential speed on the network will slow by half or more in the process, although you might not really notice much difference unless you are performing speed checks all the time.

Speaking of speed.....the Express has only 100 Mpbs Ethernet ports, so the maximum speed that an AirPort could produce when connected using Ethernet is 100 Mbps. Typically, the speeds will check out at 70-80 Mbps.

For example, I have a 300 Mbps Internet connection on the network. If I connect an AirPort Express to the main router using an Ethernet connection, the maximum speed that I can get over WiFi with the Express is about 70 Mbps.

Jan 13, 2021 4:59 PM in response to djborden

Guest Network

Not sure that will work on the extenders. Normally it only works if the main router is also airport.

I know the throughput for the wireless Express will be reduced but will it slow down the rest of the network?

Yes if that particular node is being used extensively.

Because of the slow performance for extending by wireless.. if the extender is busy then the network will be busy and slow down. But if not much is using the wireless extender the performance hit should not be noticeable.

Airport Express to Wirelessly Extend

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.