Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

socks proxy setting

After updating to Mojave, I started having connection issues (email mostly but also internet at times). It turns out, I had SOCKS Proxy selected in my Network Preferences. I deselected and applied my changes. But whenever I restart my computer, SOCKS Proxy autoselects. Is this Malware or a Virus? It's annoying but if benign, I can continue to deselect it. However, I know that botnets use SOCKS Proxy to control computers so I would prefer to disable it permanently. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 4:26 PM

There is probably some software that is resetting this either when your mac starts or when you login.

Turn it off, then restart in Safe Mode. See if it is turned on (almost certainly it os not).

Go to System Preferences->Users & Groups make a note of and remove all your login items. Restart normally. Check if was turned on. If not then one of the login items was the culprit. Otherwise it is likely a launch agent or daemon; run Etrecheck and post its report here so we can help locate it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2018 4:26 PM in response to ettamommy

There is probably some software that is resetting this either when your mac starts or when you login.

Turn it off, then restart in Safe Mode. See if it is turned on (almost certainly it os not).

Go to System Preferences->Users & Groups make a note of and remove all your login items. Restart normally. Check if was turned on. If not then one of the login items was the culprit. Otherwise it is likely a launch agent or daemon; run Etrecheck and post its report here so we can help locate it.

socks proxy setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.