Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text in equation editor always bold

Hi!

My first post ever in this community. This is the first time I haven't been able to find an answer online so I'm posting here in hope for some help.

I wonder why text inserted in the equation editor always turn bold when using the \text command? Se attached image. Is there a way/command that won't make the text bold? I know \unboldmath and some other commands are not supported (Om LaTeX och MathML-stöd i Pages, Numbers, Keynote och iBooks Author - Apple-support).

User uploaded file

Best,

Peter Wildoer

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 11:19 PM

Because the blahtex converter sitting behind that equation editor window can use other text formatting commands:

User uploaded file

The \text operator is equivalent to \textbf which uses a bold font. The isolated 123 will be rendered in the default font, and then the following \text resumes the bold font treatment.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2018 11:19 PM in response to peterfromglumslöv

Because the blahtex converter sitting behind that equation editor window can use other text formatting commands:

User uploaded file

The \text operator is equivalent to \textbf which uses a bold font. The isolated 123 will be rendered in the default font, and then the following \text resumes the bold font treatment.

Nov 8, 2018 5:15 AM in response to peterfromglumslöv

Peter,

The equation editor's principal purpose is to allow one to input limited TEX, or MathML equation syntax, and produce inline, translated, equation objects in the Pages document. It is unsuited for passages of text. These document objects, once selected, respond to Pages font attribute changes.

The example that I provided in my previous reply uses the \texttt operator to produce regular, not bold text, and the link in that reply will discuss supported features, with access to the underlying blahtex translator's PDF manual.

Text in equation editor always bold

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.