Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full stop and comma missing on keyboard

I recently reset the keyboard dictionary on my iPad to get rid of some annoying and incorrect autocorrect entries. Why oh why isnt it possible to remove entries without trashing the lot.

Anyway after doing it I noticed that the “,” and “.” are missing from their respective key legends. The key “caps” only show the “!” and “?” Legends and have lost the other ones.

The keys still work properly unshifted gives you comma/full stop and shifted gives you exclamation mark/question mark.

Selected keyboard is still standard qwerty. Emoji were turned off long before this change and keybaird was still fine after that.

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1, 2017 model

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 2:11 PM

User uploaded file

This is is what I see, it is exactly the same whether unshifted, shifted or caps lock on. I never see the “,” or “.” I can type them but never see them. It never used to be like this. It happened after I reset keyboard dictionary.

15 replies

Nov 7, 2018 11:13 AM in response to Dcjsimons01

Can you provide a screenshot of exactly what your issue is? I'm looking at my iPad and I'm not sure I quite understand what your issue is. Are you saying that when the Caps Lock is on, you do not see the comma and the period over the right and just see the exclamation point and the question mark? Whereas when the Caps Lock is off, you see the exclamation point for **** mode, and the comma for not, and the question mark for shift mode, and the period for not?

If that is what you are referring to, then that is correct and the way it is designed.

Nov 7, 2018 11:48 PM in response to Dcjsimons01

Sorry having real issues with this page this morning. Tried to respond to your last point with another screenshot but it doesn’t seem to get posted.

yes key flicks was turned off, it has been since very shortly after it was introduced. With it off I still used to see the “,.” under the “!?” legends. If I turn key flicks back on then yes they appear again, but it shouldn’t be necessary. Key flicks gives you access to the keys that are accessed by swapping to 123 not a simple shifted key. Also they appear in same font/boldness as main key legends, nit the reduced intensity of the key flick legends.

Also if a key flicks issue then surely it should be the “!?” I am missing?

Nov 8, 2018 8:17 AM in response to Dcjsimons01

I agree about the key flicks, I was just trying to see if you had changed any of that. What other troubleshooting have you tried? I've tried to duplicate your issue on my iPad Pro and have not been able to. I also tried it on my iPad Mini 4, and I cannot. I'm guessing that you are using the standard Apple keyboard, do you have any other keyboards installed?

Nov 8, 2018 8:24 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Not tried much else. Turned emoji keyboard back on that made no difference, so turned it back off again. Turning key flicks on and off hasn’t changed it.

was going to try it on my wife’s mini 4 which is also on iOS 12 but she doesn’t want to lose her auto correct library, so that’s a non starter.

will try swapping to another keybaird and back again to see if that makes a difference.

its an irritation more than anything, as I know what those keys do. So not prepared to risk much in trying things out.

Nov 8, 2018 7:00 PM in response to Dcjsimons01

Well, I'm not sure what else might happen. I just did an interesting test though. I tested the keyboard on both my iPad Mini 4, and my iPad Pro. With the iPad Pro, if I turn off Key Flicks, then toggle between caps on and caps off, I see the keys that have the exclamation point and the question mark, have the comma and period respectively. However, with the iPad Mini, I find that when caps is on, then the comma and period do not appear. But with caps off, the comma and period do appear. Not sure if that is the way it works with everyone or not.

Then I tested with key flicks on. The comma and period act the same as I indicated in the first part of the test.

Nov 9, 2018 7:38 AM in response to Dcjsimons01

Yes, they are both on iOS 12.1. I don't really see a reason, but I just wanted to share what I was able to find. I cannot explain any reason, and no matter what changes I made, it didn't matter. I did not reset the dictionary, but like you was not willing to try due to the modifications that I've made of it, dealing with my work and other things I write about. Don't want to have to get it to "learn" too much all over again. Good luck.

Nov 9, 2018 10:05 AM in response to Dcjsimons01

Hi Dcjsimons01 and Chris. I seem to recall this, or a similar issue with missing keyboard characters from a few months ago. It was affecting my iPad at the time, and the fix was to add a keyboard layout other than the Canadian English one I was using. I added the US English keyboard and the missing characters appeared. The issue remained resolved, and is still functioning after later removing the US keyboard layout.

To add a keyboard: Go to Settings - General - Keyboards - Add New Keyboard - Select from list here.

Full stop and comma missing on keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.