Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant connect 2018 iPad Pro to my 5K iMac

Just received my new iPad Pro and wanted to restore from the back-up on my iMac from my old iPad Pro. Obviously since it is USB-C I can't just plug it in. So local Apple store sold me $85 of ThunderBolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapters. This just doesn't work. I checked under about this Mac and under the Thunderbolt 2 it says no device available. So iTunes doesn't see the iPad Pro. I can get a $10 cable from Amazon the is USB to USB-C. Does anyone know if this will work.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 3:24 PM

Yes, regular USB-C to USB-A adapters will work. See here: Connecting iPad Pro 11 (2018) to Macbook Pro USB-A port.

The Thunderbolt 3 adapter will not work, since the port on the iPad Pro is not actually a Thunderbolt 3 port, just a standard USB-C port.

5 replies

Nov 9, 2018 8:18 AM in response to guidingbyte

Ive a late 2015 iMac and I couldn’t connect my 2018 iPad to it.

Phoned Apple support to be met with a reply that maybe mine got packaged with an incorrect lead. After 30 minutes I made my excuses and ended the call as I was no further forward than when I first started.

Called into Apple store today and met with surprise it cannot be done without an adapter they do not sell.... He checked with one of the tech guys too.

he said he will escalate this issue as it’s bound to crop up quite a lot now and as things stand they cannot help at all apart for getting people to buy elsewhere... I could understand if my iMac was ancient but it’s less than 3 years since purchase...

Nov 13, 2018 3:34 AM in response to Phil0124

Actually this is not correct as I have tried the USB-C to USB-A adapter and the iMac will not recognise the ipad.

You are though correct about the Thunderbolt.

I have also tried other multifunctional adapters to connect my ipad to my iMac and although I am able to get the iMac to charge it (slowly), iTunes does not recognise that the ipad is connected.

There is clearly a an issue that was not tested by apple before rolling it out.

Cant connect 2018 iPad Pro to my 5K iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.