Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iPad Pro 11 (2018) to Macbook Pro USB-A port.

I backed up my iPad Pro 10.5 to my 2013 MBP which only has USB-A and Thunderbolt (no USB-C) ports. I am about to pick up an iPad Pro 11 but can't figure how/if I can connect this to my MBP to setup. Are there any cables or adapters to allow me to connect USB-C to USB-A on the MBP? Thanks.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 6:55 AM

Got it solved. I brought to the local Apple Store Genius Bar my 2018 iPad Pro, my 2015 MBP and a cable that I had at home (USB-c to USB 3). It did not work (witnessed by Genius guy). He brought one of the store MB Air used for customer support. As we connect the iPad, iTunes reacted with a "software update" (I did not allowed to update from the MBA)... So, no issues with the iPad and the cable... so my MBP was likely in need of a driver or "something". I rebooted my MBP and the 2018 iPad Pro. My iPad was already at iOS 12.1 and my MBP with all updates to Mojave and iTunes. I connected the iPad Pro and the MBP and after 3 minutes, iTunes gave me a message with "software update is required". After rebooting the iPad, it seems the update went to the iPad as it showed a classic firmware update progress bar. I also rebooted the MBP (so we ensure all updated were committed). After this process, everything worked as expected (restored from my iTunes backup).

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2018 6:55 AM in response to 54rd

Got it solved. I brought to the local Apple Store Genius Bar my 2018 iPad Pro, my 2015 MBP and a cable that I had at home (USB-c to USB 3). It did not work (witnessed by Genius guy). He brought one of the store MB Air used for customer support. As we connect the iPad, iTunes reacted with a "software update" (I did not allowed to update from the MBA)... So, no issues with the iPad and the cable... so my MBP was likely in need of a driver or "something". I rebooted my MBP and the 2018 iPad Pro. My iPad was already at iOS 12.1 and my MBP with all updates to Mojave and iTunes. I connected the iPad Pro and the MBP and after 3 minutes, iTunes gave me a message with "software update is required". After rebooting the iPad, it seems the update went to the iPad as it showed a classic firmware update progress bar. I also rebooted the MBP (so we ensure all updated were committed). After this process, everything worked as expected (restored from my iTunes backup).

Nov 11, 2018 3:08 AM in response to barryfromgrandforks

Bought that one and did not work... It seems my brand new iPad has a problem with its USB-c port... It charges, but no data connection. I have tried three different USB-c to USB-a cables (including one with USB-c to USB-a blue connector) and none of them worked. I restored my iPad via iCloud to attempt to do an iTunes backup on my 15 MacBook Pro mid-2015 (retina) with no success (with any cable)... taking my brand new iPad to the Apple store to replace it (I will test it with the latest macs to check if it connects with the provided USB-c to USB-c cable) ...

Nov 11, 2018 3:12 AM in response to 54rd

Thanks for the information. As it happened I successfully backed up my previous iPad Pro 10.5 before receiving new iPad 11 so I was able to restore wirelessly from that. I haven’t actually received the cable yet (waiting on Amazon) so haven’t tested yet. My brother has a Samsung phone which also comes with a version of this cable also, I’ll test both when they arrive.

Connecting iPad Pro 11 (2018) to Macbook Pro USB-A port.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.