Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there a strange Apple ID in my iPhoto update login?

2 days ago I upgraded my 2009 MacBook Pro to El Capitan. Today Software Update is asking me to update a number of apps, including iPhoto.

However, the iPhoto app is showing a strange Apple Id instead of mine and won't let me use my own Id to update the app. The only solution is to trash iphoto and reinstall.

No-one else has had access to my Mac. There is no malaware - just scanned using Malawarebytes. I keep my Mac locked with a password at all times when not in use. I work from home on a private network.

Apple Support was not able to shed any light on this but confirmed that the Id is a genuine Apple Id.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea how this could have happened?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 1:12 PM

This is really strange. The Mac AppStore has not yet been introduced in 2009, so your iPhoto installation came probably on an installer DVD and has not been associated with your AppleiD when you originally installed it.

Similar questions

17 replies

Nov 11, 2018 12:52 AM in response to create-ed

I am more concerned about your user login password or the password for your home network than the AppleID. If you ever downloaded a system update from a third-party site or installed any free third-party software I would backup the mac and make a clean install from the original installer DVDs that came with your Mac.

From your originally installed system you can get to El Capitan using this Apple download site: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Nov 10, 2018 1:11 PM in response to create-ed

Did you perhaps purchase the Mac as a refurbished Mac? The previous owner may have accepted the iLife applications to their AppleID.

But you can no longer update iPhoto anyway, whatever the AppleID, because Apple is no longer offering iPhoto updates at the App Store.The Updates tab does not work for iPhoto at all since 2015, since new Macs are coming with Photos instead of iPhoto.

If iPhoto '11 is showing in your own Purchase history (the fourth tab of the AppStore), you can update iPhoto by deleting it from the Applications folder and downloading it again from Purchases. This will install iPhoto 9.6.1, the only version compatible with El Capitan.

Nov 10, 2018 1:29 PM in response to create-ed

At what point did it become associated with an Apple ID and was it mine?

If I remember correctly, iPhoto 9.5.1on MacOS X Mavericks has been the first update, that has been only available from the App Store, and at that time. the earlier iPhoto versions sold on installer DVDs have been associated with the AppleID and the license has been changed to an Appstore license.

Which version of MacOS X have you been upgrading from, when you upgraded to Mavericks just now?

Nov 10, 2018 2:19 PM in response to create-ed

I found this information about malicious code embedded in photos: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/one-photo-could-hack-your-apple-device-ex perts-urge-users-n616191

'If your operating system is earlier than 9.3.3 on iOS or earlier than 10.11.6 for OS X, it could be vulnerable."

So, yes, Yosemite was vulnerbale but El Capitan should protect my Mac now.

Why is there a strange Apple ID in my iPhoto update login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.