Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeCapsule - replacing internal drive?

Is it possible to replace the internal 1gb hdd with an aftermarket hdd, e.g. Western Digital, Seagate, etc.? My current drive does show write/read errors and recently produces them more often. Guess a total loss will be soon.

Unfortunately this Time Capsule drive is no longer supported. A repair does not make any sense because of time and material. My preferred solution would be to upgrade the internal 3.5" drive with 3 gb or even 6 gb aftermarket drive.

Did someone a successful conversion, so far?

Time Capsule (3. Generation)-OTHER

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 12:02 PM

I did a reply and it seems to have disappeared.

This is the short version.

Details here on how to do it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replace+AirPort+Time+Capsule+A1409+HDD/91818

A Gen3 is now so old it is questionable the power supply will cope with a new large drive. Earlier ones don't bother.

A lot goes wrong but a slow "Green" drive should work ok.

I run a 5TB WD Green (no longer available btw) in a Gen4 TC.. but replaced the power supply and improved the cooling.

User uploaded file

Ask if you need more details.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2018 12:02 PM in response to mvleeuwen

I did a reply and it seems to have disappeared.

This is the short version.

Details here on how to do it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replace+AirPort+Time+Capsule+A1409+HDD/91818

A Gen3 is now so old it is questionable the power supply will cope with a new large drive. Earlier ones don't bother.

A lot goes wrong but a slow "Green" drive should work ok.

I run a 5TB WD Green (no longer available btw) in a Gen4 TC.. but replaced the power supply and improved the cooling.

User uploaded file

Ask if you need more details.

Nov 29, 2018 4:04 PM in response to LaPastenague

Sorry, for the late response. Thanks for the hint. The guide was very helpful.

I finished the conversion since three weeks and all works fine till now. I used a 3.5" Seagate 6TB EXOS type archive hdd with low power consumption (5,1W operating mode, 3,2W idle mode). No problems with the power supply so far. It runs a little bit warmer, but only marginal... Performance is great, not comparable to the OEM drive.

One observation: Re-start after conversion took quite long. The led was flashing yellow for almost 30 minutes. The airport utility program came up with a notification that TC runs initialization process.

Nov 29, 2018 5:38 PM in response to mvleeuwen

Is the drive spinning down.. ?? You can feel or hear the slight vibration/noise of a running drive.

Drive not spinning down can account for increased heat load and hence warmer operation.. it is good idea to improve the cooling even if all you do is remove the rubber mat on the bottom and use feet of say 5mm (1/4").

One observation: Re-start after conversion took quite long. The led was flashing yellow for almost 30 minutes. The airport utility program came up with a notification that TC runs initialization process.

Not one I recall.. and might augur problems ahead. Time will tell.

I generally replace both disk and power supply.. which tends to make it boot much faster. i.e. my disk spins up immediately on power up ... whereas the normal TC power supply will only spin up the drive several seconds after power on. How it manages to do that without a control line is yet another one of those mysteries.

Nov 30, 2018 1:59 AM in response to LaPastenague

The OEM drive went into standby mode after a couple of minutes after each time maschine backup. If the Mac computer was switched of, i.e. no active wlan connection, the OEM went - after a deshalb cared time - into sleeping mode, heads were taking off and the drive was spinning down. Easily to hear... The EXOS drive is doing pretty much the same, but much faster in any respect.

Starting the TC does show a slight delay before the drive moves up again, but also here, it shows the same behavior as the OEM drive before.

Anyhow, to improve cooling is most probably a wise recommendation. Last question, what power supply did you use? Something special?

Nov 30, 2018 11:44 AM in response to mvleeuwen

Last question, what power supply did you use? Something special?

Yes, this is DIY.

The one shown in the picture is very old design but I have a heap of designs on my website.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/repair-type3

There is no longer any demand so I stopped making them.

You can easily build your own if you have soldering iron and some experience with it.

From ebay you can buy very cheap DC to DC modules.. I used to use a very well made 5v 5A unit but they have ceased production.. but I would just search for DC buck 5v 5a and see what shows up.

DC-DC Step Down Buck Converter Power Module 24/12/9V to 5V 5A Replace LM2596 | eBay

They cost just a few dollars. You need a DC socket.. 2.1 or 2.5mm (suits the power supply you buy) plus a power supply of 12v and at least 3A but up to 5A is fine.. Don't buy super cheap ones.. look for decent brands like Delta.

12V 5.5mm*2.5mm 5A Laptop AC Power Supply Adapter Charger For Delta Computer | eBay

The actual design is simple.. remove the existing power supply.. desolder the two power plugs.. one for the board and one for the hard disk. The voltages are single wire is 12v, 4 wires is 5v and 5 wires are all gnd returns. Wire the socket into the original AC mains point.. they fit exactly.. and wire it to the converter module.. and connect up the wire set from the original supply to match the outputs..

The efficiency of the DC to DC supplies is now between 90-95% so it produces very little heat.. you can just insulate it from the board..

**It will work fine.. but long term the capacitors will die. I would replace the capacitors on the module as Chinese use terrible quality caps. The input one should be 25v and about 470uF.. the output cap should be >1000uF and 10v low esr. Buy Rubycon or Panasonic.. you can also use solid caps of somewhat lower capacity.. I was using a pair of 220uF tantalum which worked very well.

TimeCapsule - replacing internal drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.