Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office Home & Student 2019

I have just upgraded to Mojave and my old Office for Mac is not working correctly, I am about to instal a new Office Home & Student 2019, should I delete my old version first - 2004?

iMac, mojave 10.14.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 5:16 AM

Carol,

The Office for Mac 2004 suite was intended for PowerPC processors, and in emulation mode for Rosetta in OS X 10.6.8. Mojave will not support running the Microsoft uninstaller for this old office suite, so you will have to perform a manual uninstall.

You can drag the Applications : Microsoft folder to the Trash and empty it. I am uncertain what Microsoft fonts will be left in the System and Library Fonts folders, so these will be left behind, unless someone else responds with the specific fonts and locations.

I would expect a Microsoft or Office named folder in your local Library Applications Support folder. You can drag that specific Micrsoft associated folder item to the Trash — but not the Applications Support folder itself. Open a new Finder window. Click on it, and press command+J. Select the checkbox for Show Library Folder, and then close this pop-up panel.

With Finder current, enter shift+command+G to open the Go To Folder dialog, and copy/paste the following into it:

~/Library/Application Support

Choose Go, and then look for any folder within Application Support that suggests it might be Microsoft Office related, and drag to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

Office 2019 for Mac will install its applications in the Applications folder. All Microsoft fonts are now contained in each application bundle (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.), and nothing is installed in System locations any more.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2018 5:16 AM in response to CarolLaula

Carol,

The Office for Mac 2004 suite was intended for PowerPC processors, and in emulation mode for Rosetta in OS X 10.6.8. Mojave will not support running the Microsoft uninstaller for this old office suite, so you will have to perform a manual uninstall.

You can drag the Applications : Microsoft folder to the Trash and empty it. I am uncertain what Microsoft fonts will be left in the System and Library Fonts folders, so these will be left behind, unless someone else responds with the specific fonts and locations.

I would expect a Microsoft or Office named folder in your local Library Applications Support folder. You can drag that specific Micrsoft associated folder item to the Trash — but not the Applications Support folder itself. Open a new Finder window. Click on it, and press command+J. Select the checkbox for Show Library Folder, and then close this pop-up panel.

With Finder current, enter shift+command+G to open the Go To Folder dialog, and copy/paste the following into it:

~/Library/Application Support

Choose Go, and then look for any folder within Application Support that suggests it might be Microsoft Office related, and drag to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

Office 2019 for Mac will install its applications in the Applications folder. All Microsoft fonts are now contained in each application bundle (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.), and nothing is installed in System locations any more.

Office Home & Student 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.