Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware warning: xOetV

Etrecheck reports:

Launchd script: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.qvozP.plist

Executable: /Users/johansimons/Library/WFlhS/xOetV

Install date: 2018-08-29 10:34:50

Details: Domain name invalid - possibly adware

but I can't find further information yet. Should I delete this file?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14), I love my MacBook & Apple!

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 3:15 AM

4 replies

Nov 13, 2018 1:20 AM in response to JBApplefan

You're welcome. I would uninstall CleanMyMac and Dr. Antivirus. CleanMyMac is considered junk by contributors here and has been known to damage the operating system. Antivirus programs are considered junk as well, slow the performance, take up resources needlessly, and can also damage your Mac. And of course neither kept you from getting malware. You should read this when you get a chance. Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Glad you like the name. 😎

Nov 13, 2018 12:34 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi, Dialabrain.

Thanks for you quick response and guidance.

Malwarebytes is very user-friendly and I like the easy 'quarantine' function as well. It works perfectly!

Malwarebytes detected the folder 'WFlhS' including the files 'xOetV' & 'qvozP', so I appreciate your tip even more.

I see that

a. different utilities detect different files, although they also overlap. As example:

i. CleanMyMac X did not detect any "malware"; yet

ii. Malwarebytes detected (and quarantined) a substantial list of files (66.3MB for 971 items), neatly grouped with all associated files.

iii. Dr Antivirus confirmed Malwarebytes' warnings of many files, e.g. pennyweight.zx, epioticon, axletree, xcPFinWj, cheechran, ertur, diminutal.sj, rpjxkkztwgyr,

b. Malwarebytes also classified some apps as a threat, yet these are available from the App Store, thus presumably safe to use, e.g. "Open Any File.app" by Rocky Sand Studio.

PS I love your 'name'!

Kind regards

Nov 13, 2018 10:33 AM in response to JBApplefan

JBApplefan wrote:

b. Malwarebytes also classified some apps as a threat, yet these are available from the App Store, thus presumably safe to use, e.g. "Open Any File.app" by Rocky Sand Studio.

That's an erroneous presumption, unfortunately. 😟

As an example, see this article:

https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x37.html

There are many other things that Malwarebytes detects, and that are still on the App Store.

Adware warning: xOetV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.