Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very grainy 2018 macbook air facetime camera

Have been setting up the new mac air, liking many aspects of it, even the gen 3 butterfly keyboard! Much of my business is virtual consulting, so flipped on the facetime camera to find highly grainy, noisy image. Ditto photo booth, lighting adequate. Nothing turned up in google search, other forums. Wondering whether there’s a simple setting fix or a problem specific to my hardware. Yes, I’m aware that the camera specs are not 1040 etc...but this is dramatically bad.

MacBook Air, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 3:48 PM

I have the same exact problem. I bought my MacBook Air on Sunday. I tried resolving the issue over the phone with Apple but they couldn’t do anything. Now I’m going back to Apple store next week to see if they can fix it. It’s very disappointing.

133 replies

Dec 3, 2018 7:37 PM in response to grshirl

Let's all band together with similar language to get this resolved. I have 10 years of experience in crafting messages for the government. Let's make common talking points and all call two times per week over the next two months with identical concerns. Additionally, we should contact the board of directors, advertisers, and investors.

Go big.

Mike

Jan 12, 2019 12:02 PM in response to Celton1

Apple deleted my previous posts but I'll write it again:

I had the same problem. Tech Support asked me to try "solutions" (clean the camera, try new user, check utilities, etc.) nothing worked. They told me that it may be a software problem that would be fixed in the next upgrade. BUT afterwards they admitted that it's a hardware issue and that this model was "designed" to only perform in good quality under very bright environments. Their suggestion was to use the camera in a room with lots of natural light. I live in Germany, we don't have lots of bright sunlight most of the year. Absurd!

Today I went to the apple store and the manager said that the camera is the same as previous models, but the image looks bad because the new screen is soo good that we can see more details /defects now. "What do you want us to do?" - he asked- I suggested that the least apple should do is to provide us with an external -better quality- webcam. He told me to go next door to an electronics' store and buy an external camera by myself, or buy one in amazon. Unbelievable!

I said then apple shouldn't put in their publicity the sharp FaceTime example image (see below), because that is fake publicity. And you won't believe what he said: "it's a publicity image! of course is not real [...] everyone does it: mac donalds, coca cola, everyone!".

I'm speechless and extremely disappointed of Apple. It's seems they are trying to hide the issue as long as possible instead of admitting that they made a big mistake this time. Please complain in the official feedback site because they don't take this forums as an official complaint: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Mar 6, 2020 11:14 AM in response to elmercoombe

Depending on where you bought the product, an Apple computer has good return policy

if purchased through official Apple store, or official online store. ~ Within 14-days.

Be sure to contact Apple (or authorized Apple reseller/ or service) for other issues;

an initial Apple warranty, if haven't 14-day option; still could be a serviceable repair.

• Apple - Find Locations

https://locate.apple.com/

• Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

This topic added on older topic thread, could've been start of new one.

Nov 12, 2018 11:26 AM in response to Celton1

Hello, Celton1!

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities, it's great to have you here. I see that your camera isn't working as expected on your new MacBook Air. I'm glad to help you with this.

The first thing I'd recommend is ensuring that the lens area is clean and clear from debris. You can use a soft, dry microfiber cloth.

Once you've given that a shot, if you're still seeing the same image quality issues, I would recommend testing the issue in a new user account. This will tell us if the issue is with your entire system or perhaps just one user account. It's more of an isolating issue rather than a real resolution. You can find the steps for that here: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac .

I hope that this information is helpful.

​Have a great day!

Jan 22, 2019 3:42 AM in response to jgaltshrugged

I was researching a little bit in the International Consumer Protection:

https://www.icpen.org/resolve-dispute#cross-border-disputes

I think this needs to be taken outside of apple because they are simply giving different excuses about the problem. The last excuse from a store manager in Berlin, was that basically it's my fault for believing in fake advertising from apple and for not doing my research before buying.

In the meantime we can complain in the official apple feedback site although I doubt this helps: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Feb 11, 2019 9:31 AM in response to Celton1

I have just come from the Apple store in London where they have replaced my entire screen and upper half of the laptop. The issue still remains, and me and the Apple store guy compared the cameras on all of the MacBook Airs in store, and it turns out they all have really grainy camera quality (even when checked with the Quicktime camera, which is meant to be the highest quality).

He was convinced that this was a software issue, and needs to be fixed with an update from Apple. He submitted the feedback to Apple on his end, and recommended me to submit my feedback here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I'd encourage everyone here to give their feedback here so that this can get resolved quickly https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Dec 23, 2018 11:51 AM in response to Celton1

I bought 2018 MacBook Air a couple of days ago, and having the exact same problem. I am currently using 2014 MacBook Air as well, so I could compare the quality of their cameras next to each other. The old Mac captures much better, sharper pictures.

You can see how unhappy I am in the bottom picture, which is to my great disappointment, taken by the newest MacBook Air.

(The top one is taken by 2014 Mac Air)

Feb 5, 2019 1:56 AM in response to Celton1

It's utterly bad and Apple is ignoring it and deleting critical posts. Someone stuffed up supply chain QC and this thing got produced in millions and now WE are stuck with this piece of rubbish. Facetime cameras are being used inside with room lighting. It's a major design fail when the picture is worse than a 2005 Nokia GSM phone. I really need this fixed PLEASE!

Dec 10, 2019 2:51 PM in response to five7

Just a warning, MacBook Pros have the SAME issue. Upgrading to MacBook Pro does not fix this issue! Because they have the same crappy camera. Here's a screenshot from my 2019 MacBook Pro in bright indoor light. I paid about $4k for top of the line specs, only to find out it has a hideously grainy camera. Totally unusable. I'll have to buy a separate webcam (which of course will have to plug into my separate USB adapter).

Mar 31, 2020 12:50 AM in response to Celton1

unbelievable worst camera experience, I don't have face to face classes because of Covid 2019, so i had to recored myself for a presentation , when i turn on the camera I was like What, I was shocked , Macbook Air 2018 has the worst camera ever, Iphone 3gs camera was better than this. Apple please fix it. what about those who have daily video conferences. :(

Very grainy 2018 macbook air facetime camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.