Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini vs iMac

I’m looking to see how people like the Mac mini in comparison to the iMac.

We are looking to replace our 27” mid-2011 iMac, which is obviously a bit long in the tooth.

I like that you can upgrade to the i7 processor on the Mac mini while the iMac is still on the i5. (Granted, I have been hearing that Apple may update the iMac ... someday...)

We will just need the computer for normal home / small office functions. That is, we don’t need the power processing capability for developers or gamers.

For Mac mini users, we would like to keep to a 27” display form factor. What plug-in display works well for you? Where did you get your display?

Does the Mac mini provide enough connectivity ports? I like that the iMac has 4 USB 3.0 ports (like our current iMac) and 2 USB-C (which obviously our iMac is too old to have). My only concern is that it looks like the Mac mini has only 2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB-C ports.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 4:34 AM

I just replaced a 2012 iMac with a new 6 core Mac mini with a 512GB drive - I store my media on an external drive so I don't need a huge internal drive. The mini has 2 USB 3 ports and 4 USB C ports as well as an HDMI, headphone, and Ethernet port. With 6 USB ports, many of us won't have to resort to a USB hub or dock. One small issue I found is that the USB C ports are so close to each other than some USB C <-> USB 3 dongles can't be plugged in next to each other.

This may be a better choice than

this. Note - I'm suggesting form factors not specific products.

As with my older work mini, I've connected my display via the HDMI port which is the obvious solution for those who'll be using just one display. I purchased one of Samsung's first high end digital displays years ago and that's what I'm currently using. I'll eventually replace it with a 29" - 34" curved display similar to what I have at work - also Samsung.

Also note: I keep my digital media on an external drive for two reasons, the first going back to about 2005. The first time I purchased a new Mac after digital music had become popular it took forever to migrate all that music. As time passed I installed a second hard drive in my Mac tower and dedicated it to my music and video and when I purchased my first iMac I took that drive out and put it into an enclosure which made for a much faster migration and that's been my habit ever since.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2018 4:34 AM in response to CTSeaDragon

I just replaced a 2012 iMac with a new 6 core Mac mini with a 512GB drive - I store my media on an external drive so I don't need a huge internal drive. The mini has 2 USB 3 ports and 4 USB C ports as well as an HDMI, headphone, and Ethernet port. With 6 USB ports, many of us won't have to resort to a USB hub or dock. One small issue I found is that the USB C ports are so close to each other than some USB C <-> USB 3 dongles can't be plugged in next to each other.

This may be a better choice than

this. Note - I'm suggesting form factors not specific products.

As with my older work mini, I've connected my display via the HDMI port which is the obvious solution for those who'll be using just one display. I purchased one of Samsung's first high end digital displays years ago and that's what I'm currently using. I'll eventually replace it with a 29" - 34" curved display similar to what I have at work - also Samsung.

Also note: I keep my digital media on an external drive for two reasons, the first going back to about 2005. The first time I purchased a new Mac after digital music had become popular it took forever to migrate all that music. As time passed I installed a second hard drive in my Mac tower and dedicated it to my music and video and when I purchased my first iMac I took that drive out and put it into an enclosure which made for a much faster migration and that's been my habit ever since.

Nov 10, 2018 2:25 PM in response to CTSeaDragon

Hi

I just finished migrating to the new mac mini 2018 exactly from the same iMac 27" 2011

I bought the 6 core version with 2TB SSD and it is incredibly fast.

As screen I got a refurbished LG Ultrafine 5K the combination is incredible

One thing that does not do that well is Final Cut Pro X with 4K files rendering is sluggish but this will not apply to you

Connectivity it has 2 USB 3.0 and 4 thunderbolt USB C once you connect the LG monitor you get extra 3 USB C

I have also bought a firewire to thunderbolt adapter for my old 7200 rpm mac companion

Mac Mini vs iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.