Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop mail won't delete from server after 1 week per Sierra Mail account settings

I've been having trouble for awhile with my sbcglobal.net email account on my iMac 27" Retina 2015 running Sierra OS.

My mail settings on the account for "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message" are set at "after 1 week", because I do also access this email account on my laptop and IOS devices. This strategy of managing my Mail has worked consistently for me for years across Mac OS versions but has become problematic for me the last several months.

Today, despite downloading mail on my iMac today and typically at least once a week, I have 5,363 messages on the server dating back to 6/23. Trying the "Remove from server" in the account window does nothing, even if I try to remove messages from the list only a week or two's worth at a time.

Has anyone had this problem? I am wondering if upgrading to Mojave or to High Sierra (which I have available - I've got the installer on a flash drive so I have my choice of both OS to go to) would help.

I may also look into whether I can configure this account as IMAP which I think I'd like better.

Thanks in advance.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 27 inch Retina (2015), 4 GHz i7, 8 gb RAM

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 11:38 AM

I did check the settings on the sbcglobal web site and, indirectly, may have found something. My inbound versus outbound server settings in my account on my Sierra iMac didn't seem to be right, when compared either to my El Capitan MacBook Pro nor to the recommended settings on att.net for Mac OS Mail.

I've made some adjustments and we'll see if it helps.

Thanks!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2018 11:38 AM in response to Eric Root

I did check the settings on the sbcglobal web site and, indirectly, may have found something. My inbound versus outbound server settings in my account on my Sierra iMac didn't seem to be right, when compared either to my El Capitan MacBook Pro nor to the recommended settings on att.net for Mac OS Mail.

I've made some adjustments and we'll see if it helps.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2018 11:34 AM in response to JScott

IMAP may better serve your needs, but you need to be aware that an IMAP sync is immediate. If you delete an email from your laptop, device, or the iMac, it is deleted from the server and other devices/computers.

Have you checked the settings on the sbcglobal web site to see if there is something that is preventing the deletion?

Pop mail won't delete from server after 1 week per Sierra Mail account settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.