Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete from server option in Mail 12.4

Hi all, I have searched and couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to set up so mail will delete messages from the server after it downloads them.

By server I mean if I go to the website for my email account (in this case sky/yahoo) the inbox there, rather than on my mac

hope I'm making sense.

I know in previous versions if you went

Mail-Preferences-accounts there would be an advanced tab and an option to delete from server. both of these seem to have gone. All tutorials/answers I found online show older versions of mail, with the advanced tab

I only noticed as mail was taking ages to close, and when i went to the sky web site, I still had a lot of old emails. Once deleted, mail closed in seconds

you'll have to forgive me if that's a bit garbled as I occasionally have bouts of Brain Fog.

Best

Simon

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 6:19 AM

Which type of e-mail protocol are you using: POP or IMAP?

I use IMAP protocol which keeps messages synced between my Mac and the server. In this case the option you're looking for obviously isn't available (otherwise the whole sync idea wouldn't make sense).

Maybe you have previously used POP protocol which gives the possibility to remove the messages from the server as soon as they are downloaded.

Unfortunately I can't test a POP account. I'm quite confident that with POP the delete option would be available somewhere.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2019 6:19 AM in response to Salfordnurse

Which type of e-mail protocol are you using: POP or IMAP?

I use IMAP protocol which keeps messages synced between my Mac and the server. In this case the option you're looking for obviously isn't available (otherwise the whole sync idea wouldn't make sense).

Maybe you have previously used POP protocol which gives the possibility to remove the messages from the server as soon as they are downloaded.

Unfortunately I can't test a POP account. I'm quite confident that with POP the delete option would be available somewhere.

Delete from server option in Mail 12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.