Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal hotspot not working on eSim

i just activated eSim on my iPhone XS Max in UAE and realized that personal hotspot stopped working. Is this reported as a bug?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 9:13 AM

I am having the same problem, my Perosnal Hotspot configuration is gone and can’t use it anymore. This happened when I activated the second cellular plan on my Xs Max.

I have an esim from Ooredoo and after activating the esim, hotspot was working fine, but the moment I added another cellular plan, hotspot stopped working and now giving a msg to contact the network provider.

User uploaded file

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2018 9:13 AM in response to salah100

I am having the same problem, my Perosnal Hotspot configuration is gone and can’t use it anymore. This happened when I activated the second cellular plan on my Xs Max.

I have an esim from Ooredoo and after activating the esim, hotspot was working fine, but the moment I added another cellular plan, hotspot stopped working and now giving a msg to contact the network provider.

User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2018 1:02 AM in response to jeanMleb

FWIW I had the same issue with a GigSky subscription activated on my XS-Max eSim, which I was using in Germany (my domestic/physical SIM provider is Swiss)

. So I suppose it does seem to be a bug with iOS 12.1.

The subscription has lapsed now so I can’t try out the suggested workarounds but I will at the next opportunity; tethering is my #1 use-case for a dual-SIM phone.

Has anyone reported the bug? If not I will.

Nov 14, 2018 9:41 PM in response to jeanMleb

Hey guys,

I went to Saudi Arabia on Sunday evening and I put a physical sim card (Saudi Number) in my phone and used its data and personal hotspot was working fine, plus I had eSim working for roaming.

When I came back to UAE, Tuesday evening, I switched to my UAE number data and personal hotspot kept on working which is very weird.

Try to activate data using a physical sim, make sure that personal hotspot is working, then switch back to your eSim data. It might work.

Jan 5, 2019 6:22 AM in response to jeanMleb

On 31 Dec 2018, I bought esim from du telecom UAE and after installing in my Iphone XS found am not able to send or receive call or data. I contacted the Apple support available at Abu Dhbai Mall at Sharaf DG and the guy there told me that there is no esim support for Iphone XS with latest version that is 12.1.2 of software. I had to swap back from esim to physical sim and had to pay AED 20/- for the physical sim. So please be aware while purchase esim.

Personal hotspot not working on eSim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.