Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I sync a 1st generation iPad with current iMac?

I would like to buy a 1st generation iPad (because they are cheap). I want to use it just to play music on my Bluetooth speakers. I have an iMac running OS 10.13.6. Is it still possible to download the music from iTunes on my iMac to an older iPad? Will it sync to iTunes on the iMac? Or how could I get the music from the iMac onto the iPad? I do have an iPhone but I've never had an iPad so I don't know how it works. Maybe this idea is a waste of time?

Thanks,

Paul

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 6:58 AM

I think this would be difficult because iPad 1st Gen only can run iOS 9.3.5 and your mac is running a much more updated macOS. I don't think it would be worth buying to find out it's not going to work.

However, the iPad 6th Gen starts at 329.00 (also compatible with the first gen Apple Pencil- sold separately)

I think you might want to look into that option of iPad 6th Gen.

Buy iPad 9.7-inch - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2018 6:58 AM in response to justmyname009

I think this would be difficult because iPad 1st Gen only can run iOS 9.3.5 and your mac is running a much more updated macOS. I don't think it would be worth buying to find out it's not going to work.

However, the iPad 6th Gen starts at 329.00 (also compatible with the first gen Apple Pencil- sold separately)

I think you might want to look into that option of iPad 6th Gen.

Buy iPad 9.7-inch - Apple

Nov 11, 2018 4:12 PM in response to justmyname009

I am not sure such an old iPad will sync to any of the more current versions of iTunes.

Also, that 8 year old iPad may not have a current enough Bluetooth spec to work with newer Bluetooth speaker system.

There is chance iTunes 12.6.5 might work, but it is still a risk.

Why buy an such an old iPad or even a large iPad just to play music?

I do think you would be wasting what little money this iPad would cost and your time if this iPad does not connect with newer software/iTunes.

You are might be better off looking for an older 5th gen iPod Touch that runs a much newer iOS (iOS 9.3.5 ) or bite the bullet and purchase a new iPod Touch 6th gen that runs the latest iOS.

OR,

If you insist on using an iPad, why not get an iPad you can actually use, as well as play music.

There is the new 2018, 6th gen 9.7 inch iPad with Apple Pencil support.

A 32 GBs storage WiFi ONLY model costs $329 U.S.D.. A 128 GBs, WiFi ONLY model is $429 U.S.D..

If you can find older iPads that are NOT Activation Locked to purchase, any older iPad that can either run iOS 9.3.5 or 10.3.3 or even the newest iOS 12 maybe somewhat cheaper than a new iPad.

With older iPad models, stay away from 16 GBs storage models.

Only look at 32 GBs , 64 GBs or 128 GBs storage models in older iPad models.

Good Luck to You!

Can I sync a 1st generation iPad with current iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.