Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't i identify people when editing a photo in a shared album apple photos

I have lots of photos in my library. All seem to be able to use the face technology so I can find great shots of family and friends later on. However, When I add photos to a shared album it appear that the face detection technology and even the manual faces I have identified seem to go away. T top it off the shared photo no longer resides in my library so the work of manual identifying people seems to be lost. Help? what am I missing? Do I need to simply get rid of all of my shared albums to get a complete picture/inventory of all of my photos.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 2:02 PM

Shared albums are just for sharing photos with others. They are not fit to store your photos in a full quality. When you add a photo to a shared album it will be scaled down to reduce the amount of data to be transferred and most of the metadata tags (locations, faces, titles, descriptions) will be stripped for privacy reasons. You can use the shared albums to show off selected photos online in a shared album, but keep the full resolution photos with all metadata safely stored in your Photos Library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2018 2:02 PM in response to JohnGroves

Shared albums are just for sharing photos with others. They are not fit to store your photos in a full quality. When you add a photo to a shared album it will be scaled down to reduce the amount of data to be transferred and most of the metadata tags (locations, faces, titles, descriptions) will be stripped for privacy reasons. You can use the shared albums to show off selected photos online in a shared album, but keep the full resolution photos with all metadata safely stored in your Photos Library.

why can't i identify people when editing a photo in a shared album apple photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.