Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is that inside the ambient light sensor?

Guys, any idea what could this shiny metal or dot (or a part of scheme) inside the ambient light sensor be?? Indicated by arrow in photo.

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 1:15 AM

Hi Elmir,

Unfortunately I don't own any of the models you indicated (X-XS), so I can't make any comparison.

I will ask some friends of mine (who own such models) to check their devices' sensors.

After investigating about that, I'll keep you informed.

But if the ambient sensor on your iPhone XS is working fine, I wouldn't be so worried.

Thanks and regards

Giulio

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2018 1:15 AM in response to elmirfrombaku

Hi Elmir,

Unfortunately I don't own any of the models you indicated (X-XS), so I can't make any comparison.

I will ask some friends of mine (who own such models) to check their devices' sensors.

After investigating about that, I'll keep you informed.

But if the ambient sensor on your iPhone XS is working fine, I wouldn't be so worried.

Thanks and regards

Giulio

Nov 12, 2018 9:51 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi Giulio,

Unfortunately no any Authorized Apple Support Provider nearby.

I have been investigating that issue last 3 months and I have to say that too many X and XS models have the same shiny metal/dot inside the ambient light sensor (at the right corner). My concern is why not all X and XS models have it? I had X space grey without it, then I switched to X Silver (it was first time when I noticed it inside the sensor and though it is a defect hence I switched to XS). Last month I bought a XS Gold model and observed the same.

I can't understand why not all models have it.

Best Regards,
Elmir

Nov 13, 2018 1:55 PM in response to elmirfrombaku

Giulio has asked that I take a look at this. I have an XS Silver, and previously had an iPhone X, also in Silver. When looking at mine, and I have to look with a strong flashlight shining on it, I can see the area that you indicate, but I don't really find mine to be that shiny. I suspect it is part of where the sensor is connected. Are you experiencing some problem with the device? If not, I wouldn't consider it something to worry about.

Nov 14, 2018 4:45 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking time and checking it up. I have been contacting other X, XS and XS Max users as well, and honestly most of them have it and most don't have it. The fact that some users confirm the existing of the subject part in the ambient light sensor and some users don't makes me confuse and curious.

Phone is working perfectly fine. I never experienced any issues with the sensors on my X (which had that dot) and XS (current phone).

Regards,

Elmir

What is that inside the ambient light sensor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.