Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Apple ethernet adapter on iMac

I have a late 2015 17" iMac running macOS Mojave. I'm wondering if I need to purchase an Apple USB ethernet adapter. I am able to connect to our wired network using wi-fi (we have a dual-band router in another area of our home), but it seems that it will only use an IP address to connect to the actual wired network even though I have an ethernet cable connected from the iMac to my DSL phone line. I had the same problem with my PC which is located in the same area as my iMac. Once I connected an adapter, it was able to connect to our wired network with no problem. I would much rather connect to our actual network vs wi-fi. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anna

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), 17" iMac

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 5:18 PM

...our router is a Netgear tri-band with 6 antennas.

Ok, thanks for the update.

I feel the wired option is faster than the wi-fi when downloading things like movies, computer updates, etc.

Yes, that would be correct. Ethernet connections typically run in the 1 Gbps range. Wireless, typically would be half that and only near the wireless router.

I have a normal ethernet cable that connects my iMac to our phone line. Our local phone co. can only provide us with DSL service.

Sorry, this is where I'm getting a bit confused. Typically DSL service would come into your home and connect to a DSL modem or a modem/router (or gateway device) that supports DSL connectivity using a standard phone jack ... not Ethernet. From there you could connect one or more Ethernet cables to each of your wired network clients. Alternatively, you could connect a single Ethernet cable between the gateway into an Ethernet switch, and then, connect each wired client to the switch. Going a bit further, you can connect Ethernet runs (inside your walls) to anywhere in your home where you want Ethernet connectivity at a wall outlet. Is the latter something that is the case for your home and how your iMac (that is downstairs) to the gateway upstairs?

When I open Network Preferences, it says "Ethernet is connected & currently active & has the IP address, etc." Our other PC computers have the name of our network (both wired & wi-fi) vs an IP address...which is what I want my iMac to do.

Actually, you only want each client to connect by either Ethernet or by wireless, not both at the same time. If you want your iMac to use Ethernet, then just be sure that Ethernet is at the top of the network connection type list in System Preferences > Network, as in the image below. Notice that I have Wi-Fi turned off for my Mac mini and only use Ethernet for my connection. Also Configure IPv4 should be set to: Using DHCP, so that your iMac can get the proper IP addresses from the DSL gateway.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2018 5:18 PM in response to MistyLady7007

...our router is a Netgear tri-band with 6 antennas.

Ok, thanks for the update.

I feel the wired option is faster than the wi-fi when downloading things like movies, computer updates, etc.

Yes, that would be correct. Ethernet connections typically run in the 1 Gbps range. Wireless, typically would be half that and only near the wireless router.

I have a normal ethernet cable that connects my iMac to our phone line. Our local phone co. can only provide us with DSL service.

Sorry, this is where I'm getting a bit confused. Typically DSL service would come into your home and connect to a DSL modem or a modem/router (or gateway device) that supports DSL connectivity using a standard phone jack ... not Ethernet. From there you could connect one or more Ethernet cables to each of your wired network clients. Alternatively, you could connect a single Ethernet cable between the gateway into an Ethernet switch, and then, connect each wired client to the switch. Going a bit further, you can connect Ethernet runs (inside your walls) to anywhere in your home where you want Ethernet connectivity at a wall outlet. Is the latter something that is the case for your home and how your iMac (that is downstairs) to the gateway upstairs?

When I open Network Preferences, it says "Ethernet is connected & currently active & has the IP address, etc." Our other PC computers have the name of our network (both wired & wi-fi) vs an IP address...which is what I want my iMac to do.

Actually, you only want each client to connect by either Ethernet or by wireless, not both at the same time. If you want your iMac to use Ethernet, then just be sure that Ethernet is at the top of the network connection type list in System Preferences > Network, as in the image below. Notice that I have Wi-Fi turned off for my Mac mini and only use Ethernet for my connection. Also Configure IPv4 should be set to: Using DHCP, so that your iMac can get the proper IP addresses from the DSL gateway.

User uploaded file

Nov 12, 2018 2:57 PM in response to MistyLady7007

I am able to connect to our wired network using wi-fi

Sorry, but that is a bit confusing. Did you mean to say that you can connect your iMac to the "wireless" network using a Wi-Fi connection between the iMac and your wireless router?

If so, did you want to use a wired connection instead? ... or maintain a wireless one for the iMac?

(we have a dual-band router in another area of our home), but it seems that it will only use an IP address to connect to the actual wired network even though I have an ethernet cable connected from the iMac to my DSL phone line.

A DSL connector is the same as a POTS phone line connector. Neither are the same, although they look similar, to an Ethernet connector. The latter connector is larger in size and has more wires.

What is the make & model of your dual-band router and the make & model of your DSL modem?

Nov 13, 2018 9:41 AM in response to Tesserax

Sorry for the confusion, but, actually, our router is a Netgear tri-band with 6 antennas. I would rather use our wired network vs our Wi-Fi. With that router we are able to connect to both wired & wi-fi. I feel the wired option is faster than the wi-fi when downloading things like movies, computer updates, etc. I have a normal ethernet cable that connects my iMac to our phone line. Our local phone co. can only provide us with DSL service. When I open Network Preferences, it says "Ethernet is connected & currently active & has the IP address, etc." Our other PC computers have the name of our network (both wired & wi-fi) vs an IP address...which is what I want my iMac to do. If I turn the wi-fi off, then it's only showing the IP address. When my PC (located about 3 feet from my iMac) had this problem, I bought a USB ethernet adapter & it now connects both to my wired network & wi-fi network. So, I'm wondering if the Apple ethernet adapter would do the same thing for my iMac. I'm sure the problem stems from the fact that the router is upstairs connected to a PC & my iMac is downstairs. (Yep, we have multiple computers).

Thanks,

Anna

Nov 13, 2018 5:20 PM in response to Tesserax

You’re right...it is a DSL modem that’s connected to the Netgear tri-band router. Our network is indeed wired inside the walls in our home…both upstairs & downstairs with phone jacks where we have the computers plugged in. Ethernet is at the top of my network connection in System preferences & looks like yours with the exception being the IP address. I guess I thought it should have the name of our network (i.e. MistyLady) like our PCs, 2 of which are downstairs where my iMac is. So, as long as it says it‘s connected & active, I don’t have to worry about purchasing the Apple ethernet adapter.

Thank you you so much for your help AND patience. I really appreciate it.

Anna

Use Apple ethernet adapter on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.