Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet connection for 2017 MacBook Pro

Hi, I have a 2017 MacBook Pro that does not have an Ethernet port. Unfortunately the wifi in my office at work is flighty at best. I do have an adapter that will convert one of those Thunderbolt ports into a wired connection location. Will this work with my Mac? I don't know if my Mac has a networking card that will work with a hard-wired connection vs. wifi. Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 3:14 PM

7 replies

Sep 7, 2020 3:25 PM in response to iiikingme

A USB-C to Ethernet adapter...

The Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

Or...

A Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter (what you probably have), with a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter...

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

should work, yes.

I’d probably go with the single dongle, rather than the double dongle.

Brydge and other vendors also offer docks. Brydge (formerly Henge) Stone, Stone II, and Stone Pro all offer Ethernet.

https://www.brydge.com/pages/multiport-hubs

Sep 7, 2020 6:35 PM in response to iiikingme

<<Ethernet seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs. >>

maybe for consumer products, but not for High end systems. They often rely on Ethernet, and faster than Gigabit versions are becoming available over copper wiring.

you should have settings for Ethernet showing in:

system Preferences > Network ...

...provided you use the gear icon to 'Set Service Order' to make Ethernet Top-Most.

Sep 7, 2020 6:56 PM in response to iiikingme

iiikingme wrote:

Thank you, I do have an Ethernet-to-Thunderbolt connector. So far I can’t get it to connect to the office network. I wasn’t sure whether I needed anything inside the machine, because Ethernet seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Wired Ethernet is quite common in servers, built-up environments, and in locations where Wi-Fi is problematic whether for technical or security or performance or other reasons. Most servers use wired, and a number of desktop clients.

If both wired and Wi-Fi connections are messed up, chances seem good that the office network is either locked down and authenticated, or is misconfigured, or is otherwise having issues.

Ethernet connection for 2017 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.