Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a wired ethernet connection on a MacBook Pro

Hi -

I was wondering if someone could help me out with this....

Right now I am using Wi-Fi to connect to my router. If I want to plug my MacBook directly into the router using an ethernet cable, will it automatically switch over to the wired connection or will I have to turn off Wi-Fi and configure it. I want to be able to just bring my MacBook home, plug it into the router, and have it use the wired connection.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 6:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2023 10:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

You may have to adjust a setting, once, and then it always will work as you desire.

Packets going to the Internet are sent to the TOPMOST, Working interface shown in:

system preferences > Network

To use Ethernet, it just need to be moved to the TOP, if not already at the Top.

click on the gear icon under the list, and choose "set service Order". Drag Ethernet to the Top, and Wi-Fi second.

Now when Ethernet is working, it will be used, and otherwise Wi-Fi will be used. Just plug in the cable when you want to use Ethernet.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out - It is TRULY appreciated!!!!! Again, THANKS!

Apr 10, 2023 7:28 AM in response to q99D7_

You may have to adjust a setting, once, and then it always will work as you desire.

Packets going to the Internet are sent to the TOPMOST, Working interface shown in:

system preferences > Network

To use Ethernet, it just need to be moved to the TOP, if not already at the Top.

click on the gear icon under the list, and choose "set service Order". Drag Ethernet to the Top, and Wi-Fi second.

Now when Ethernet is working, it will be used, and otherwise Wi-Fi will be used. Just plug in the cable when you want to use Ethernet.

Apr 10, 2023 10:51 PM in response to mdhurst

"Is there a reason you can not use wireless Wi-Fi at your home? Much

easier than getting the dongles needed to plug directly into a router

and while not as fast, should be more than enough?"

I could just continue to use Wi-Fi, but I want any speed advantage I can get (no matter how small) so "docking" it is what I want to do (at least at home). Of course, if I am not at my desk at home I will be using Wi-Fi, but when I am I want to be wired (or at least have the option to be)

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it very much....

Using a wired ethernet connection on a MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.