Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what if there is no ethernet option in my network settings, just thunderbolt

I need to use ethernet on my 2013 macbook- I have a USB adaptor for ethernet but my computer only recognizes thunderbolt or wifi options in network preferences. Is there a workaround or do I need a thunderbolt adaptor?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 11:01 AM

szab1987 wrote:

It's an amazon basics gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter that comes with a disc to load the drivers. I don't have a disc drive to do so which is probably why it is not recognizing it. I have tried both ports, no luck; no other computer to try it on. No idea if there is anything online to download drivers from.

If it comes with a driver and you don't load it— explains a lot.

You can google your noname "amazon basics gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter" for the developers website and download the driver if they supply one (?)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 11:01 AM in response to szab1987

szab1987 wrote:

It's an amazon basics gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter that comes with a disc to load the drivers. I don't have a disc drive to do so which is probably why it is not recognizing it. I have tried both ports, no luck; no other computer to try it on. No idea if there is anything online to download drivers from.

If it comes with a driver and you don't load it— explains a lot.

You can google your noname "amazon basics gigabit USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter" for the developers website and download the driver if they supply one (?)

Jun 15, 2020 10:46 AM in response to szab1987

What USB adapter are you using exactly? Make and model? Is it compatible with macOS?

The Mac should automatically detect the adapter as an ethernet option. If its not, try a different port, test the adapter on a different computer. Make sure the adapter is compatible with macOS. Check the manufacturers website for drivers for Mac it may need some for the Mac to properly identify it.

Jun 15, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

What USB adapter are you using exactly? Make and model? Is it compatible with macOS?

The Mac should automatically detect the adapter as an ethernet option. If its not, try a different port, test the adapter on a different computer. Make sure the adapter is compatible with macOS. Check the manufacturers website for drivers for Mac it may need some for the Mac to properly identify it.

try using a USB to Ethernet adapter, or a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

if it is not working you will have to verify the adapter is working— either on a different machine or try a different Apple branded adapter .

what if there is no ethernet option in my network settings, just thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.