Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to insert math symbols in pages using mojave

I need a simple and easy way to insert math symbols, like a division symbol, when I am writing a document in Pages.

Pages-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 9:22 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Hansfords

In Pages v6.1 through v7.3, you can use the built-in equation editor by pressing option+cmd+e. You can enter LaTEX, or MathML syntax to produce a division symbol:

\mathsf{A\;\div\;B} produces the following inline equation. I use spacing operators (\;) for styling:

User uploaded file

If all you want is an inline division symbol, you can just enter \div in the equation editor.

You can also use the fee-based MathType, or free MathType Lite to produce inline equations or math symbols.

There is more information about how to use the built-in equation editor here, and click the blahtex link there to get the direct PDF download of the blahtex manual that shows the supported operators.

Nov 13, 2018 1:09 PM in response to Hansfords

Plan B. One-time setup. Text replacement via System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Text.

Click the + symbol to add a text replacement sequence:

Replace With

dv ___

Enter dv and tab over to the With field:

Enter control+cmd+Spacebar to open the Emoji's & Symbols panel. In its search window, enter the word “div” without the quotes, and in the center panel, you will see the division symbol. Double-click that division symbol, and it will be entered into the With field in the text replacement panel. Press return. You can close the System Preference panel.

In Pages : Edit menu : Substitutions : √ Text Replacment

must be selected before you can type dv, and have a floating panel show the division symbol as below:

User uploaded file

Any key press will insert the division symbol. Clicking the Esc button, or the x in that replacement pop-up will cancel the replacement.

How to insert math symbols in pages using mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.