Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing Copy / Paste loose ACLs

Hello all,

we have a problem with the file sharing via Server App.

I'll try to explain my issue as well as I can.

We have a Mac mini with 10.12.6 Sierra. On it we have install the Server App to act as a Open Directory, Time Machine, File Server and Cache.

We have made a triangle join: OD and AD

The clients are same joined to AD and OD, and they use the AD user as a logon user on the client Macs with mobile profiles. The Users are Administrators of their own client station.

On the Mac mini we use iSCSI drives. On it we have created several folders and share this folders via Server App. We grant to a AD Security Group a read / Write permission to this and propagate it to all child sub folders.

Till this moment no problems, the users are able to read, write and execute all files across the shared folders.

The only one problem we found is then the user try to copy a file from one folder and paste it to another. In this case, the pasted file loose all ACLs given by the Server App, and keep only the Weels, Creater user and everyone.

As example:

We have a folder A. To this folder we gave the permissions to: AD_Group - read/write, Spotlight - adhoc, Everyone - read only, Wheel - readonly. This permissions are propagated to the sub folders A1 and A2.

In the A1 folder we have a file with the same permissions as the father folder, and if I try to copy this file and paste it in A2 folder, I'm loosing the ACLs AD_Group - read/write, Spotlight - adhoc

Is here some one who has same my problem, and if yes, please share with us how you solve it.

If some of you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks you very much and have a nice day.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 1:26 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

File Sharing Copy / Paste loose ACLs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.