Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Favorites disappearing in Files App on iPad

I’m using the Files app on my iPad to integrate my OneDrive cloud app.

I’ve having trouble with Files’ ability to rememeber favorite folders for my OneDrive.

I can save the folders as favorites and it works just fine but if I close the Files app it forgets the saved favorites.

Can anyone help?

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 6:32 PM

7 replies

Nov 15, 2018 6:23 AM in response to martyns

Hi martyns,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see you're running into an issue with favorites in the Files app.

You mentioned this seems to be happening with folders in OneDrive. If you mark a folder outside of OneDrive as a favorite, like a folder for Numbers or Pages for example, does that folder remain marked as a favorite? Or does the same thing happen?

By any chance, are you using any other devices with iCloud? Do you see the same behavior on those other devices?

If you try the steps above and find only OneDrive is affected, try tapping Files > Locations > Edit, and then switch OneDrive off and back on. Then, test it again.

On the other hand, if the issue is happening with folders outside of OneDrive as well, try tapping Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and switching Files off and back on and try it again.

If you haven't already, I also recommend that you Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch :

Restart your iPad with Face ID

1. Press and hold the Top button and either volume button until the slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.1
  3. After your device turns off, press and hold the Top button again until you see the Apple logo.

Restart your iPad with a Home button

1. Press and hold the Top (or Side) button until the slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.2
  3. After your device turns off, press and hold the Top (or Side) button again until you see the Apple logo.

I hope the steps above help you!

Take care.

Nov 18, 2018 1:20 PM in response to martyns

Hello there martyns,

Thanks for that!

I understand you reinstalled both apps and toggled iCloud Drive off with the same result, and the same thing happens on two iOS devices.

Are you running iOS 12.1 on both of your devices? You can check under Settings > General > About. Here's How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if you find you have a software update available.

On the other hand, if you're already fully updated or if the same thing happens after you update, it sounds like the best step will be to Contact Apple Support directly for further assistance.

Have a great day.

Nov 16, 2018 7:34 PM in response to Moozito

Thanks for your response. I worked through all your suggestions. The issue persists. It happens on multiple devices and for both Google Drive and OneDrive. The issue is also the same for tags. ICloud Files works but nothing else.

One of your suggestions was to go into iCloud and turn Files off and on. There is no Files listed there.

Dec 2, 2018 9:02 AM in response to martyns

I have been having exactly the same issue when attempting to use Dropbox folders as Files app favourites. They seem to show up initially under favourites on the Browse screen but if I open a file or exit the app they have disappeared next time I return to the Browse screen. Usually they will reappear if I then return to the app several hours later but unfortunately they don’t stay.

The app doesn’t seem to entirely forget the favourites, as if I navigate to one and long press on it then the option to ‘unfavourite’ appears. The issue rather seems to be that folders from 3rd party storage services intermittently fail to show up on the Browse screen on the files app. The behaviour occurs on both my iPhone and iPad (both running iOS 12.1) so I suspect it is a bug with the favourites functionality in the Files app.

Favorites disappearing in Files App on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.