Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch keyboard language at login screen

Hello there!

I have ran into a problem recently, i cant quite log into my macbook air.

The problem is, that i’ve used a QWERTZ keyboard setup, but it switched -after the last update i installed in the morning- to QWERTY after the installation was done. The problem is, i’ve a specific character in my name, it’s the letter “Á”, which is on my keyboard but when i press it, it’s not an Á but a “. I tried to use shift+alt+Z, but it didn’t work. So I just can‘t login because i can’t write my name down..

Any solutions you got?

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 9:39 AM

What kind of qwertz keyboard are you talking about? Hungarian? That's really critical info.

If login is now set to US qwerty, try holding down the A key and see if you can select Á from a popup that appears. Or try typing option e and then A.

If you get logged in, activate the input menu on the login screen (last item on page below).

Change the language used at the login screen on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2018 9:39 AM in response to ÁronKedves

What kind of qwertz keyboard are you talking about? Hungarian? That's really critical info.

If login is now set to US qwerty, try holding down the A key and see if you can select Á from a popup that appears. Or try typing option e and then A.

If you get logged in, activate the input menu on the login screen (last item on page below).

Change the language used at the login screen on your Mac - Apple Support

How to switch keyboard language at login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.